Inquiry to renting small portion of land for chicken

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Ffp
Learner Laner

Inquiry to renting small portion of land for chicken

Post by Ffp »

My wife and I are interested in raising some hens for laying as well as having a small vegetable patch. We would like to know if any one in this forum have a small portion of land for rent for the purposes of raising chicken and growing vegetables? If not can you please advise us appropriately?

We are in the St. Neots area.

Thanks much
Ffp

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Inquiry to renting small portion of land for chicken

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I was going to do the same.
Trouble is getting something close enough and safe from unwanted visitors.
Love the idea and good luck .
Bob
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I know some people raise chickens on their allotments, but not all allow it. I'd just do a reccie of likely spots near you and make a direct approach to the landowner. There was also a scheme that Hugh F-W had on his site to match unwilling/unable gardeners with keen potential gardeners, so you could look on his River Cottage site. Good luck.
Ffp
Learner Laner

Post by Ffp »

Thank you for your responses. At the moment we do not have an allotment. However we will keep looking. In the meantime if anyone else in the forum has any information they can share with me on the inquiry, we would love to hear from you. Thanks
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I would definitely give the council a call to find out more about allotments in your area - click on link: St Neots town council They have 2 allotment sites but don't give details of whether you can raise chickens, plot sizes or rent. I'd take the "waiting list" claim with a pinch of salt (some sites do not update their web page frequently, and recently numbers taking on a plot have been slowly falling since the 2011/2012 frenzy) but even if there is, still worth putting your name down as soon as possible and you can be planning a veg plot while waiting even if the chickens might be a no-go.
Ffp
Learner Laner

Post by Ffp »

Thanks. I have already checked with council and it was they who referred me to your site. They don't make provision for the chicken but can be on a waiting list for the vegetable plot. The search continues. Thanks though for your help
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

What a pity you are not down in Devon. My mum has a small field she wants to lend to someone for chickens and/or growing veg etc. Good luck in your search.
Ffp
Learner Laner

Post by Ffp »

Thank you so much for all your responses. a pity indeed Bluefinn I am not in your area. Who knows maybe one of those days. thanks though so much for your encouragement.
Ffp
Learner Laner

Post by Ffp »

Still continuing our search. If anyone knows or hears of anything in our area, please let me know. Thanks again.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I meant to ask about your own property - do you have a garden? Or are you not allowed?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

If any of your local village shops/post offices have notice boards it may be worth putting a card in with your enquiry. Word gets around in villages & some people may be happier dealing with a local person rather than advertising more publicly. Just a thought.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Ffp
Learner Laner

Post by Ffp »

lancashire lass wrote:I meant to ask about your own property - do you have a garden? Or are you not allowed?

We live in a flat. No area for gardening. Thanks
Ffp
Learner Laner

Post by Ffp »

kitla wrote:If any of your local village shops/post offices have notice boards it may be worth putting a card in with your enquiry. Word gets around in villages & some people may be happier dealing with a local person rather than advertising more publicly. Just a thought.

Great udea. I will try that. will be sure to let you know the results. Thanks