eglu go

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chookies
Learner Laner

eglu go

Post by chookies »

Hi all , I'm scrapping the idea of having the schools coop and run even though it would be perfect, the other teachers want to keep Hetty the chicken it's only the head teacher who wants her and the coop/run gone.
So I've been looking at the Eglu go I'm going to get the 2meter run to start off with then eventually get the walk in run to attach to the 2 meter run.
I've put my name on the list for 3 battery Hens but really would like 4.
My question is how many can I have in the eglu go?
On research omlet say you can have up to 4 but I have read that you should always get bigger than the coops recommend as they usually are too small for the number of hens it says it can house.
So if anyone has an eglu go some advice will gratefully received.
Also after speaking to the charity I'm getting my girls from they told me that their legs will be weak and they won't perch so I'm thinking just until they get strong enough I will remove the perches and just have the flat plastic with straw until they gain their strength.
Any tips of ex battery hens will also help.
So excited now they said they are looking to go in and rescue them in 6 weeks and that was 2 weeks ago so not long now!
I've started buying the food from the charity which is like the food they have been given until they get used to pellets and some super mix corn as a treat and other bits. >ch<
Ali

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: eglu go

Post by Mo »

I think the coop is often big enough for the numbers stated, but the run is not, particularly when it comes to introducing new hens to existing.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, I would agree that it's the run that is often too small.

Am not familiar with the eglu myself, but I don't think that the perches are high. I had no problems like that with my batties, they just didn't use them (nor have any of my chooks, ever!)
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
chookies
Learner Laner

Post by chookies »

Thanks for the replies, I'm hoping it won't take long to get the walkin run that attaches to the 2 meter one , might even be able to get it before the girls are here >fi<
I haven't got any other hens, we was going to take on Hetty but after having a talk to the teachers who care for Hetty they will miss her terribly so I'm not going to have Hetty , the coop or run now.
So the only hens I'm having are the rescued ones.

Your right the perches aren't high on the eglu go it's kind of got slants/perches on the floor.

Ali
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well you are starting fresh now, but in a couple of years when you might have lost one or two, and the others don't lay so well you will be glad of as big a run as possible to introduce a few more, keeping up the egg supply and making sure you don't get left with one alone.

So I always say don't fill the run to capacity with hens all the same age, leave a bit of slack so if you lose one you can introduce 2.
chookies
Learner Laner

Post by chookies »

Thanks Mo, my husband was even saying he could build a run himself as it would probably work out cheaper and he can do it really big. He used to have an aviary years ago that he built himself and never had any problems with it, but I just really liked the omlet one as it does say how safe it is with foxes etc.
Although we have never had a fox in our back garden , we have high fences and 5 cats and a dog who would probably scare them off I just didn't want to take the risk.
Thanks also for the advice about rehousing 2 at a time I would never have thought of that , maybe I should just get the 3 and see how I go?
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, that's a good idea. I try to do that now, but when I first got chooks, I was so excited, that I filled my coop!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

p.penn wrote:Yes, that's a good idea. I try to do that now, but when I first got chooks, I was so excited, that I filled my coop!

Where have we heard that story before.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'd also talk to some owners about features that they did and didn't like about their coops before OH puts in lots of effort. My tips would be make it high enough that you don't have to bend too much to clean it, and try to avoid too many nooks and crannies. You might like to consider removeable trays as they're easy to clean, but you have to be able to get them in and out. BTW, I found that our ex-batts were a bit mixed on the perching issue. Some could, some couldn't but most wanted to in the end!
chookies
Learner Laner

Post by chookies »

We are now going to deff get the eglu go for the coop and my hubby is going to bulid a big run for them with the eglu go inside the run. There is a bird shop close to us that sell the panels, it will be on decking so it will be screwed down to the decking.
I like the look of the eglu go as its plastic and looks very easy to keep clean. I was worried it looked a bit small even though it says it can house upto 4 hens, but if its more to do with the size of the run i will give them a big walkin run and when im in the garden with them will let them roam the garden.
Ive told my husband to get panels with a strong metal.
We have never had foxes in our garden it would have to jump over 2 high fences to get in but i still worry.
We had an avairy years ago with lots of different birds and quails and we never had any problems also our neighbours have kept chickens with no problems but you just never know. Im sure my dog and cats will chase a fox off. But i would never forgive myself if something happened to my girls.
Ali
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

chookies wrote:Ive told my husband to get panels with a strong metal.

Ali

Yes. Chicken wire, despite its name, will not do.
I am told that it is now made a lot thinner than it used to be, it certainly rots at ground level if you bury part of it.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Well done for rescuing ex-commercial hens. I've never regretted it. I'm not sure about perches. Some of mine took to them, others didn't. It rather depends what sort of set up they are used to.

Just cautionary note about decking. if it's wood it could become a home to red mite. you will need to take precautions or you will never get rid of it. I don't want to put you off - your planning and enthusiasm sound marvellous but it's worth bearing in mind that decking needs to be watched. I use a converted shed on concrete which can become damp in very wet weather so I got some pallets to lift everything off the floor. I watch them like hawks because of the potential risk.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
chookies
Learner Laner

Post by chookies »

Oh no I didn't think about the decking hiding the red mites

My thoughts were to put something like pond liner down then cover with soil and screw the panels to the decking. Would the pond liner and soil help keep them out??
I hope so!
This is part of my reason to getting a plastic coop, so I can clean and dry it quicker.
I know Mo I've been doing a lot of reading up and it said chicken wire is not good enough , I've stressed this to hubby he said he will make sure it's a strong metal and is going to ask at the bird place today also his friend owns den marketing (I think that's the right name) so he is also going to ask him about the runs etc.
Ali
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

Well Ali, I think we'll give you the job....( Head Chook Keeper ). You said " my girls" ..... so you now qualify. you're smitten already. )like( {rofwl}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Re the decking - I agree it will get very slippy and yes, red mite will be a problem. Also, pond liner may not be such a good idea as you will not have good drainage. It could all end up a muddy pooey mess ( which is what happens to me in winter on my slab paved run }hairout{ }hairout{
Helen xx