Everyone please read this

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Everyone please read this

Post by chookmike »

My wife Rebecca seems to have contracted a fungal infection called Histoplasmosis, which is a fungal infection on the retina of the eye. The only treatment we read is to use a laser to kill the fungus but that will also destroy that area of the retina thereby lifelong damage to sight.

If it spreads to other areas of the body it can be fatal.

The fungal spores are common in the poop of chickens and bats.

My advice is to wear a mask when cleaning the hen house out or can see that you risk breathing any dust. If we had our time again I would also spend a few quid on a proper builders very fine mask - not one of the 10 for £2 type.

Hope this helps and hope everyone is well!

Best regards

Mike

Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Everyone please read this

Post by Spreckly »

Most thoughtful of you to pass the information on Mike, and best wishes to your wife.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Mike

I'm so sorry to hear about Rebeccas's eye. I hope it gets treated soon and all ends up well.

Thanks for passing this on though, I didn't know their poop held spores. Is it transmitted via breathing, or did Rebecca get a speck in her eye?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, is this the only source of getting this as maybe not the roote cause .
Bob
add to this everytime someone sneezes at work they say chicken flu....
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

The spores are breathed in so when sweeping up you are sending the dust into the air.

Bird poop is not the only source of the spores Bob, but the most common. Wikipedia do an easy to read piece on it for more info.

One of the first questions the Consultant asked her was whether she had been to the USA recently as it is very common there along the Ohio and Mississippi river systems.

Mike
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

So sorry to hear about Rebecca. I hope she gets the treatment she needs quickly and I am sending you both best wishes.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , wish you well keep us all in the loop .
Bob
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

As she's seen a consultant, I suppose it's a bit daft to ask whether an antifungal treatment would help it. Anyway, it is a horrible thing to happen so love to Rebecca, and thanks for letting us know about it.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hello everyone - good to talk to you again. My local pub has now got hens, rabbits and piglets so we are getting our chicken-fix and a pint at the same time.

Rebecca was at Moorfields Hospital in London on Thursday. The Professor was not convinced the problem is histoplasmosis. He reported 'anomalies' on her retinas but suspects they have been their since birth (so why the sudden changes?) Anyway, the procedure she underwent made it impossible to proceed to the second investigation on the same day so we are back down for a full day in a month.

Despite no longer having hens (the run now gradually growing weeds which is just so sad) Pip the cat is working his way through his nine lives. He has had a broken toe, then kidney failure and now a 'foreign object' removed from his gum, exposing an abscess so is now on 4 pills a day. One pill a year is nuisance enough with Pip but 4 a day )gr:

Hope you are all well x

Mike & Rebecca
manda

Post by manda »

Poor Rebecca....hopefully they find exactly what's going on soon for her.

As for Pip....what can I say }hairout{
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thanks Manda - stay safe over there - the planet seems to be on the move again. R's sister in Masterton had a good shake the other day )ot:

Mike
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Oh dear, there's nothing worse than eye infections I always think.

Hoping it all sorts out.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , marian sends her best , if she can do so can you, best wishes.
Bob