Are these cockerels?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Are these cockerels?

Post by kitla »

That's interesting, I've always found hens just hunch up & act totally docile at dusk. I thought at night they would be quite defenceless. It's quite reassuring to know that they; at least my cockerel, would make a noise if they were attacked at night.
We had an escaped cockerel living in the valley behind us for some weeks, every morning we'd hear him doodling but never see him, then it stopped. Those 3 boys have the worst camouflage to survive long in the wild, poor things, they must be very scared and very hungry, I wonder if you can tempt them to some spot with a trail of food? Do they have water nearby?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

That's what I'd thought too Kitla, that they'd be like my chooks and just let me pick them up! You could do anything to my hens at that time of night and they'd just sit there - not so with these guys!

There is a little stream/ditch next to where they are that's fed by a little spring, so they should be ok for water. I do remember when I used to let my hens free range that they ate hardly any layers pellets at all. I'm hoping that if they were able to get all they need from foraging then these cockerels will too. I'm mostly concerned about foxes. It's strange how they're so attached to that corner of the field and keep going back to it. I'll go out for a walk that way again this evening and see if they're still there.
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Caught, sort of!

I went for a wander after I got home to see if they were still there, and was surprised when they came running over. I had no food for them so went home for some, and popped one of my chooks in a cat box and took her along as well. That did the trick, and they followed me home. They've flown into the run (they're very good at flying), and my poor girls have been educated. I don't think they'll forgive me for a while :?

The neighbour said the SSPCA have been out and weren't able to catch them, but they're going to come here tomorrow and try to round them up. Hopefully they'll stick around till then, but they seem happy where they are for the moment.
Katiee
Lively Laner

Post by Katiee »

Well done! you could end up with some extra family members as a token of appreciation..... {rofwl} {rofwl}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Good thinking, tempting them with a girly! I wouldnt think they'd be in a hurry to leave now. Are you still thinking of keeping one?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi well done , power of love.
Do not eny you picking one of three to keep.
Bob
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Well, from their lofty 20ft high perch last night they started cock-a-doodling at 10 past 4 this morning! I'm not so sure the neighbours will be into that. I still don't know how the SSPCA will catch them though, they just fly up into the trees!
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Good on you, for your perseverance with them :-D They are handsome boys.

)t' for a happy ending x
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I thought they'd follow your girls into the coop at bedtime.
--Immanuel Kant
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

They nearly did last night, then thought better of it! SSPCA are coming tomorrow to try and catch them. Part of me hopes that one will make himself uncatchable!
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Meet Dunstan...

:oops:
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Dunstan is a hunk +f+ You should start writing on the Henpals Diary, they love a henpal hunk!

I take it Dunstan stayed behind while his mates have been taken off to be rehomed? Did he choose to stay behind, or did you choose him?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

ooh you kept him! is he the friendly one?
I dont think he's a Sussex, he doesnt look big enough, he looks quite dainty and that tail! Perhaps a crossbreed, or a Leghorn - he's almost like an exchequer one. That would explain them being good flyers.
ps what made you call him Dunstan?
--Immanuel Kant
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Sadly the friendly one was the first one caught {cry} , while this one legged it away into the woods! He is a very pretty boy though. He doesn't trust me at all at the moment, but hopefully with enough food and if I'm around them enough he'll come round... maybe!

Interesting info about the possible breed - thanks. I have no idea really! I wonder if they were still quite young, as they were still so close to each other without fighting? I feel a bit bad about splitting them up, but maybe they would have started fighting eventually anyway.

I was just thinking through my favourite films for a name, and Dunstan Thorn from Stardust popped into my head (Tristan sounded too posh!). It was that or Tywin, but I hope he's not mean enough for that!
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Actually, what do cockerels eat? I think I read somewhere that layers pellets aren't right because they have too much calcium. I haven't actually seen him going for them much anyway (though I think he's scared of the treadle feeder, so I have a brick on it so it stays open till he gets used to it). He loves the mixed corn (it's a new type I'm trying called Henergise, which has lots of different stuff in it - they all love it). And if he needs a different type of feed, how do I feed him separately from the chooks?