Duck breed help please

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
smiths12
Learner Laner

Duck breed help please

Post by smiths12 »

Thinking of getting some ducks mainly just for pets. I have researched on how to look after ducks and my husband is making a run for them and duck house, so that will be all sorted.
The problem is the breed
i wanted call ducks as they were small. but obviously very loud,so that is out of the question as have neighbours that are close.
So i need a friendly breed. duck that is not so loud, or doesn't quack all day and night.
was thinking Campbells, cherry valleys, (apparently this isn't an actual breed)?
can anyone advise me on a breed that doesn't quack all day long lol and that are friendly as i have 4 children that want to help look after them aswell.
Also if anyone has any pics of your ducks or pictures of your runs i would be really interested and you can email me if you prefer hanzsmith1@hotmail.co.uk
thanks for your time.

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Duck breed help please

Post by Grannyof4 »

Khaki Campbells are great ducks and lay lots of eggs. You need lots of space for ducks, a pond which can be cleaned out and very secure fencing to keep the fox out. I kept ducks for years but had paddocks so could make a big pond for them and fence it. They make so much mess hence the amount of space needed. Ducks on the whole are very quiet, yes they quack but nothing like the noise from a cockerel. I would recommend you stick to ducks and no drakes.