Are these cockerels?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Are these cockerels?

Post by kitla »

My cockerel eats the same as the hens, layers pellets & whatever he gets freeranging.
I rarely actually see him eat much, he spends more time calling the girls over and giving them anything he finds.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Thanks. He slept in the trees again last night and started crowing at 4.30am. He was non-stop until the alarm went off :? . I had to write a note to the neighbours to explain and apologise. I thought if I could catch him tonight and put him in the coop he might be quieter, but he got away from me and is up the trees again }hairout{ .

He's settled in amazingly quickly with the rest of the girls and they seem settled and happy together. If it wasn't for the noise I'd be delighted and willing to let him sleep where he wants. I feel terrible about the neighbours though - I don't want them to hate me! I don't know what to do now {cry}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You are doing an amazing job )t' Those birds are so lucky they have you worrying about them. I am sure the neighbours will understand, perhaps some of them would help in capturing him? After all it would be in their interest.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

He was actually pretty quiet last night (unless I slept through it!). I'm going to pamper them all for a few days to try and re-gain his trust, as he just legs it whenever he sees me now. I just have to hope he'll start using the coop of his own accord soon.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm sure Bill was much louder when I first brought him home than he is now. (Though he does often crow in the night now too! but it isnt very loud as he's in a sturdy wooden coop). After a year here his morning crows are definately less loud and shorter, if that's any reassurance. I'd have thought that once Dunstan's settled in as part of the flock he'll want to roost with the girls - it's his duty to protect them after all. Perhaps if you can find time regularly to just sit near them & throw them treats, he may start to trust you & not run off so much.
Your doing the right thing explaining to your neighbours, hopefully they'll be patient while Dunstan is settling in. My neighbours quite like to hear my cockerel & complained about the quiet when my last one died!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi when you catch him , you can put a collar on which reduces the noise they make ,does not hurt and a bit effective . It is a strap with touch grip ,cannot think of the name . Girls will pull it of him so will not strangle if caught .
Bob
Will be putting mine on my boys soon as in competion with ech other at 4.30am.
bob
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I have been following this story with interest but for some reason I was locked out and not able to comment. I just tried again and it worked, hurrah!

He does look lovely but I can imagine crowing at 4.30am being a nuisance. Getting him to go in the coop is a tricky one as he has got used to roosting in a tree and is unfamiliar with your coop.

I haven't got any suggestions but will be watching with interest. Keep us posted.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I too have been following this with interest. Isn't he handsome. So pleased you have kept one of them Gardengirl and hope he will soon decide to spend the nights in the coop.
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Last night was his 4th night sleeping in the coop - hooray! I have an auto-door opener though that lets them out at about 4.30 at the moment, so crowing's still a problem when I leave them to their own devices.

For the last 2 nights I've nipped out after the door closes and unhooked it, so I can let them out myself at a more reasonable hour. There's hardly a peep from him in there, and what noise he does make is pretty muffled. I see you can now get a timer for the door opener, so I'm going to invest in one of them so I can set it for 7 or 8 in the morning.

He's not too bad through the day either (which is a relief as one neighbour works shifts). He's settled down amazingly well with the girls too, and doesn't harass them much at all (in fact, I haven't seen any 'action' between them in days!). So far, so good!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

That's great news! He'll soon get into the routine.
Does he have a nice crow? They all sound so different, my Bill is very tuneful but our last boy sounded half strangled when he sung.
--Immanuel Kant
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

It's usually pretty nice, though sometimes it goes a bit awry towards the end - cock-a-doodle-aarghh... :-D
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi, That sounds like mine except that the arghhhhh is me from Lav giving me a good peck .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

{rofwl}
--Immanuel Kant
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Cock-a-doodle-doo! (click to listen)
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

aww Dunstan sings beautifully! he looks very at home, fate must have sent him to your garden.
--Immanuel Kant