Worried about Ruby

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Worried about Ruby

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
I hope i am worrying over nothing but Ruby is not herself. I think she has started moulting as she looks scruffy around her head and her comb is paler than usual.
She is eating and drinking but not with the same gusto as usual and seemed to want to lay down a lot today. She has taken herself off to bed early tonight and went into the coop on her own, i usually have to put her in.
I have given her along with the others some sardines in tomato sauce and some peas and i have also put some poultry tonic in the water.
Do you think it is just the moult or should i be worried? She has not laid today.
Amber.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Worried about Ruby

Post by kitla »

My first thoughts are to check her and the coop for mites. When I found redmite last year, Tiny had been weak and sleepy with a pale comb, most the mites were under her roosting spot. But some molts can make them quite poorly for a few days too.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you for the reply Kitla.
She doesn't roost but sleeps in the nest box. They are in a plastic coop and i put DE in the nest boxes and dust bath every time i give them a thorough clean out which is once a week.
I did have a wooden coop last year but did see Red mite in it so then invested in the plastic one. I have looked for signs of the mites but can't see any to date but will have a really good look tomorrow in the coop and on Ruby. I did have a quick look at her this evening but saw nothing on her.
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Always good to rule the mites out anyway. Is she standing with her tail down? see if her vent is sort of pulsing, I'm wondering if she could have a stuck egg or a softy. sometimes when they have a stuck egg they will do watery poops (it's all that can get past).
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Kitla.
I have had a good look and no Mites.
She seems a bit brighter today and is tucking into her sunflower seeds and corn before heading off to bed.
Thank you for your advice it was much appreciated.
Amber.