What is this thing I keep finding in their poop?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
SarahC
Lively Laner

What is this thing I keep finding in their poop?

Post by SarahC »

Hi all! Not been here in ages so lovely to see the best chicken advice line ever is still going!

I'm hoping someone can help as I've never seen this in the 7 years I've been keeping chickens! Ive got two ex-batties and I keep finding what I can only describe as a totally empty, shrivelled egg sack in the nest box. There have been some softies recently, which they have taken to eating before I get in there but I had two good strong eggs a couple of days ago. My girls are quite old for ex-batties and I lost one girl last weekend.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't quite work out if it's being laid or pooped! And I'm hoping it's not a slippery slope to egg peritonitis, rather hoping it's something I can cure.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: What is this thing I keep finding in their poop?

Post by Freeranger »

Any chance you could post a pic? From the description it just sounds like they're coming to the end of their laying, and this is exactly what you said - an empty egg sac.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Limestone flour is a good way to give extra calcium, which may improve the shells. But I agree, they do lay oddments early & late in their laying lives.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

this could be the soft shell/skin of the softy that they ate. I have occasionally found an eggy mess in the coop and a shrivelled skin lying somewhere else. I've seen this dangling from a hen before, the inside of the egg having fallen out somewhere. Perhaps their shell glands are wearing out, or hopefully just a passing phase.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
SarahC
Lively Laner

Post by SarahC »

Thanks for your replies. I think you may be right and it's the egg sac from the ones they ate. They haven't laid for a few days and no sign of this weird thing so that makes good sense, thanks. I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything on it at all, just laying softies.

Cassie's not so good today, tail down and dirty vent, sitting asleep on the perch so I think she's not got long to go {cry} Still, they've been 'out' over 2 years now which is good going for ex-batties. )t' Love 'em!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They often do look ill when there is a softie on the way. Miraculous recovery when they lay it - unless it breaks inside and leads to infection. I repeat, get some limestone flour from a horse supplier, it seemed to work wonders for mine (I was surprised).
Worth a try and softies are a real pain. And the reason commercial hens are considered 'spent' so early I think.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
SarahC
Lively Laner

Post by SarahC »

Thanks Mo. I've got limestone flour and have now put some I n their food so fingers crossed all will be well :-D