Mr Fox

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
p.penn

Mr Fox

Post by p.penn »

For the first time in almost 10 years, my daughter had all of her chickens killed by the fox on Friday night {cry} Must have been a very hungry fox as 4 of them were completely taken, with one left headless in the run. She has a fully covered run and is at a loss to see where he got in (and out) and there were no signs of anything in the garden outside the run :?

Just a reminder to you all that it's fox cub time again, so be extra vigilant!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Mr Fox

Post by Grannyof4 »

Unless the run is like Fort Knox and even then, it is not wise not to shut chickens in a secure house at night.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

how awful for her. Thanks for telling us, its easy to get complacent when we dont see a fox for years.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oh no! {cry}
It never ceases to amaze me how clever foxes are,, the smallest chink in your armour and they're in. More cat like than dogs with their agility too.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

hi , Farmer friend of Karens (SWMBO ) lsot 5 of her pet chickens last sat . Did not get in her egg laying girls .
Even farmers have the emotions of life.
Best for her losses and hope she re builds her flock.
Bob
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Very sad. I lost one of mine on Monday. Must have been in the daytime but no sign of feathers or anything like that. At least my other two are still here but to lose all them is devastating.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

She found out where foxy got in, wiggled down the side of the shed with one foot on the shed and one on the fence rail. Must have been quite a challenge getting the chooks back out that way :?

Anyway, she has replaced 3, and getting another 2 soon.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com