It's a Rip Off

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

It's a Rip Off

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello. I'm going to be on Rip off Britain on Friday morning, 6th May, BBC 1, at 9.15am. This is the last programme in a series of ten, on food. It was filmed in December. The blurb in the Radio Times says.....

A woman who spends only a fraction of the average weekly shop reveals her secret.

It's not really a secret because a lot of people do it, but there are many more who don't know about timing your supermarket shopping to get the cheapest food.

Ilona
aka Meanqueen
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: It's a Rip Off

Post by Mo »

But if everyone did it it wouldn't work!
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for letting us know Ilona. I shall put it in my diary.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Made sure that I watched Rip Off Britain. Well done Ilona!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: It's a Rip Off + linky

Post by Meanqueen »

I've watched it. It came on the iplayer just after it finished live. I am on near the beginning, and again towards the end. I looked a bit dowdy because it was filmed in winter and I had my winter togs on. I didn't smile enough, my normal expressionless face looks miserable, I am not miserable, just concentrating on getting it right.

Rip off Britain

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, I watched it.
I thought the other items were for people who had expensive tastes. (Just skipped them to see what they were). Yours was much more down to earth.

Co-op mark downs are label 'Still Fresh' i.e. nearly out of date.
Some of the yellow stickers aren't worth bothering with though - if they are fancy stuff they have to be marked down loads before I bother with them.

How long did it take you to get through that £20 worth?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I didn't get any of it, Mo. They took it all away with them. I was a bit annoyed actually, at first they said I could have it. I said I would hand it out to others. There was meat and fish in it which I don't eat. When we got back it all went in the fridge. The next morning we had to go and do the outside shots at the supermarkets, and the sound girl stayed behind and itemized everything. It took her a while. I said it needs to go back in the fridge, they didn't seem bothered.

We went to lunch in the pub, they paid for that, then they said I couldn't have the food, they had to take it back to Manchester with them. I said by that time most of it would be inedible because it would have been out of the fridge too long. It had also been handled that much for all the filming, it was beginning to look a bit tired, damaged packaging etc.

They did say afterwards that some of it was given out to people in their office. A lot of it would have had to be thrown after all that time and handling. Sad really. By making the film they created a lot of food waste.

Ilona
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

That was mean. I bet they spent more than that on petrol & expenses, and could have considered it as a production cost as it was perishable.

Will it make much difference to you if the supermarkets start giving unsold items to charity, or do you think they'd always knock it down first?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Goodness Ilona, I would have expected that you got to keep all the food!
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Post by nicklincs »

Saw it today,very good. Such a shame you didn't get to keep the shopping.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Tried to watch it but it say 'not currently available' >shrug< )gr:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein