Summer flowering bulbs

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Summer flowering bulbs

Post by jemberelli »

A few weeks ago I found an offer to subscribers of the paper we get for summer bulbs, paying only postage. I then forgot all about them until they arrived this morning! It seems very late to be planting them - will they do anything if I plant them now or just flower later than usual? They would be planted into pots of varying sizes as we don't have borders!

I got:
Liatris (25)
Acidanthera (10)
Crocosmia (3)
Freesia (10)
Allium Molly (55)
Brodiaea (40)
Anemone De Caen (57)

Thanks in advance
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Summer flowering bulbs

Post by lancashire lass »

I think now is supposed to be the time to plant them outside - according to the BBC gardening guide

When to plant

Summer bulbs, such as alliums, agapanthus and cannas, should be planted in spring, when the soil is beginning to warm up.
The ideal soil temperature is 13°C as in colder soil bulbs will not start to grow and may rot. Aim to plant dry bulbs directly after purchase.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Summer flowering bulbs

Post by jemberelli »

Thank you, having looked on the website that they came from, I completely confused myself! They all seemed to recommend planting much earlier than now, for flowering about now! Think I just panicked a bit! Will throw them all into pots and see what happens! >mmm<
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell