My first henny rescue

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

My first henny rescue

Post by sandy »

I look like I have done a few rounds in the boxing ring, bruised cheek, cut lip and scratches under my eye but what can one expect going a few rounds with 250 newly liberated girlies? My first time helping rehome ex batties was absolutely wonderful. The girls had come a long way in the boiling sunday heat, arrived at 12.30 , stacked up in their crates in the barn for us to undo and let them out. Unfortunately one girl didn't make the journey, two had bad legs, two were just poorly and two were totally oven ready but my were they feisty. One of them made an escape with me in literally hot pursuit. I was taking the money to begin with but swapped places after 15 minutes as the lady catching the girls couldn't hear when she had phone calls from various customers to catch the girls , check them over and hold them ready for their nail manicure. After awhile the only part of me that was clean was the white of my eyes! It was tiring and hot but I was running on pure adreline, the joy of handing over a girl to pop in the anxiously expectant new owner. I came home on such a high those girls had such different and good lives to look forward to , and that smell of ex batties is still lingering under my nose. If you ever get the chance do take it, rewarding isn't the word for it.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My first henny rescue

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , hats of to you .
I often think of helping out.
I know what it is like to go and collect , choice of which to take ,leaving the ones behind.
Never had the hens claws clipped , new one .
Medal to you and the rest of the team for doing it .
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oh well done Sandy. Sounds like you had a great day and very rewarding )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

That's lovely, Sandy - good luck to all the girlies and their new homes xx )like(
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

That sounded like a lovely day, well done you.
I bet you were tempted to bring some home though !! +f+
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob some of their claws were like talons, result of cage living.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Hope marian and co do not find out they will be demanding a pedicure with treats whilst sunbathing on the bench.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You mean they don't get that now Bob?

Sandy, I am full of admiration. I bet you are hooked now. But you haven't answered Bob's question about whether any were smuggled away in your backpack?? :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper