Anyone having seed germination problems this year ?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Anyone having seed germination problems this year ?

Post by Richard »

Hi

I sowed 20 Sweetcorn - 7 came up

Sowed 8 Courgettes and 2 came up !

Most other Vegetables are doing OK., just wondered if anyone else is experiencing this - first time I've had problems in years.

Possibly all the mixed up weather ?

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Re: Anyone having seed germination problems this year ?

Post by saint-spoon »

I have seed germination problems every year {rofwl}
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My peas started to come up then disappeared - and a row of lettuce.
I'll stick to spuds next year I think.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Richard wrote:I sowed 20 Sweetcorn - 7 came up

Sowed 8 Courgettes and 2 came up !

Did you use fresh seed? Are these direct sown or in pots?

Richard wrote:Possibly all the mixed up weather ?

Sweetcorn and courgettes (and cucumber) need a really warm period to kickstart germination - soil temperatures should be at least 22-25oC which can be easily achieved when pots are left on a south facing sunny windowsill, and if you can time sowing just at the start of a warm spell of weather with strong sunshine this can usually help (if you ever read my gardening diary, you might find I'm boringly obsessed with weather forecasts so that I can time when I'm sowing and planting - with a few }hairout{ when the weatherman gets it wrong LOL) If the newly sown seeds are left in a greenhouse, bear in mind that night temperatures have been pretty low sometimes (you need above 12-15oC) so the see-saw effect of hot and cold can be detrimental to germination ... I think only the hardiest seeds will make an attempt and the others give up.

A couple of things to try for better germination results: try "chitting" the seeds before sowing (layer some paper towel in the base of a tray, wet it and drain off excess water so that it is damp, arrange the seeds and put another layer of damp paper towel on top. You can pop the tray in a plastic bag to prevent the paper towel from drying off or put a lid on, then place somewhere nice and warm - an airing cupboard if you have one, or on top of a computer if you leave it on 24 hours for a few days. This year I've had 99% of sweetcorn and all 5 courgettes have germinated. As soon as you see the root pushing out, start to sow them in pots of compost - if you leave it too long, not only do the roots get entangled and becomes a frustratingly delicate task to separate, but the leaf shoot will appear soon after and you do need to make sure you put this right way up in the compost or risk losing it. Keep the pots warm until the seedlings start to appear.

If you decide to sow them direct in pots of damp compost, then the best suggestion I ever learned about is leaving the tray of pots in the car especially during sunny weather. Temperatures in the car really soar and germination results for tender summer crops have been amazingly good. Again, watch out for night temperatures and bring indoors if necessary.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I chickened out and bought a courgette plant this year. I was lucky as there were 2 in the pot! Now all I have to do is stop the rampaging slugs and snails }hairout{

I am only growing these and Spring onions this year, which reminds me, I must plant them!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I cheated this year and bought plants for ease! (The veggie plot is over-run and I have a new half size greenhouse to use!)
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

OH has had problems with seed germination this year. Tomato plants have been a bit difficult, and are still very small. Cucumbers are also not good. Lobelia had to be sown again, and he has commented on other difficulties. We have a greenhouse, and use a germinator.

Thanks for the advice LL.
grandmaeileen
Longlasting Laner

Post by grandmaeileen »

We start all our plants off under cover in the greenhouse. We have quite a large allotment so any spare plants go to other allotment users beside us. I've good success with the courgettes and peas, the cucumbers have germinated well as have the tomatoes. My problem is beetroot! we hardly had any last year, and so far this year the germination is very poor again {cry}
Mother of two, stepmum to two, all grown up and flown the nest. Grandma to Lucy, who's 12 and is my best friend. Two dogs, 6 Gingernut Rangers, and one lovely hubby!

R.I.P. Queenie, Missy,little hen and Edna
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

grandmaeileen wrote:My problem is beetroot! we hardly had any last year, and so far this year the germination is very poor again

{hug} I tried the chitting method with beetroot this year and then potted them on. All have germinated so I'm wondering if it's "old" seed or just too cold (as in, night temperatures in particular)? Certainly some things on my allotment plot are a bit slow for this time of year while some like established plants eg comfrey seem to be well ahead of usual.
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

I haven't got anything growing at all yet up here. Mid May I usually plant my tatties but its far too cold yet. Supposed to warm up here next week.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting.

Lassie - New seeds into Pots.

They were then slow growing but as soon as I planted them out about a week ago they've taken off !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome