Bit of a problem

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
p.penn

Bit of a problem

Post by p.penn »

Mopsy, one of my newest and my most sweet chicken went broody a few weeks back - the first of my chooks to do so in 8 years. I made sure I lifted her out of the coop at least once daily to eat and drink , but I encountered a different problem.

Overnight, my happy little flock turned into snarling demonic monsters }hairout{ Every time poor little Mopsy popped her head out of the coop, they visciously attacked her. {cry} Poor little thing, her comb was bleeding and she is such a darling. They wouldn't let her eat, drink or even breathe the fresh air.

I removed her from the run a couple of times and let her wander in the garden, but both times she wanted to get back in with the others. :?

Then, one morning last week, I saw her out in the run, broodyness over. Peace and harmony completely restored to my little community overnight! Just like that!

Is it usual for a broody chook to be so bullied?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com

wendy

Re: Bit of a problem

Post by wendy »

How strange.
Not a problem I have encountered or even heard of.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I have never come across this. My Butterscotch (bantam gold top) lays for three weeks then goes broody for two weeks as regular as clockwork. I too lift her a couple of times a day to makes sure she eats, drinks, poops and has a manic dust bath some days. She has never been bullied. None of the other girls take any notice of her being broody.

Luckily you have normality once more. Perhaps just hope it was a one off.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi unfortunately this happens . Evils twin was chased back all the time ,even by Club the girl with deformed feet.
Pom Pom is brodie and had the same trouble and this morning she was out running from all of the flock ,eating on her own again.
Know doubt she will now get back to normal as she seems off the brodie list.
So normal behaviour I think.
Probably natures way to keep the eggs warm etc.
Bob
Not sure what would happen if chicks hatched and the flock was about.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks Bob, it's good to know that Mopsy isn't the only broody hen to be bullied!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I suppose it just goes to show they are all different. I now feel lucky that I have no problems with my regular broody girl.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

my broodies get bullied a bit too, nothing too severe though.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have just noticed Mopsy has gone to sleep on the coop roof - there has been more Poo there, and I am now wondering if this is why everything calmed down :?

I have left her there, but will check again tomorrow night if it is raining.
Helen xx

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi,my girls are taking it in turns now Moe has started , ,Studio ,Eagle . Pom Pom is out in morning but still sitting on eggs when getting a chance.
Not a problem fed them now and again .
Throw out the nest also .
Bob