Can hens crow?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Devonrich
Lively Laner

Can hens crow?

Post by Devonrich »

I have three Black Maran hens who are about 2 years old, but have never had more than 2 eggs at a time between them. I have recently introduced a cockerel and a hen Barred Plymouth Rocks which I hatched in an incubator.

A few weeks ago I heard the cockerel (Paladin) crowing which I thought was a bit early as he was only 9 weeks old and still making baby noises all day.

This morning I woke at 4:30 and went for a walk in the garden and saw the cockerel, alone wandering about the run, I thought I would watch him doing his morning crow. After a few minutes one of the Marans came out of the henhouse, chased him off and proceeded to crow. It must have been her/him all along.

This Maran (Dhansak) looks and acts like a hen the rest of the time. I have never seen anything that would give me a hint that he/she was anything other than a hen.

Any thoughts please?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You are what you drink, and I'm a bitter man.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Can hens crow?

Post by Mo »

I have read stories about hens
a) turning out to be cockerels all the time
b) changing to be more like cockerels after laying as hens

Just as in humans, s.ex/gender (whichever we're meant to call it) is not as fixed and binary as we like to think.

Mind you hens can have quite a loud cackle (laid an EGG, laid an EGG). Could she have been telling him in no uncertain terms that she was here first?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I have a hen that crows.
Sometimes I think she is trying to imitate the Jackdaws and crows that gather in the garden.
It is definitely a crowing noise though. She makes regular hen noises too, but a couple of times a month, she crows. She is a regular egg layer, spring to summer. She has long holidays, gave up laying in July last year, started again in Feb, this year.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

One of my hens "crows" too - not as sophisticated as a cockeral but more like a loud hiccup. She does it about sunrise when all the other birds are in full bird song. I haven't found out which one but I'm leaning towards the Bluebelle or the Gold star (definitely not the Amber star as I can hear her at the same time)

I think the problem might be hormonal rather than gender confusion - it's hard to tell with my girls as the older ones are in semi-retirement so egg laying is already sporadic at best of times but if they had been younger, I'd imagine they might not be as good a layer as some of the others.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I am told the boss girl can take on the role of boss boy .Still female but takes the lead in most things including role call in the morning.
Bob
Devonrich
Lively Laner

Post by Devonrich »

Thanks for your replies. It seems she is letting him know she is the boss. Her crow is very good although not as loud as I would expect a cockerel to be. Presumably there will come a time when he is a little older that he will take over as boss. At the moment he runs away from all the bigger girls as does Freyjer, his sister.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You are what you drink, and I'm a bitter man.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I have had 3 crowing hens. Tiny the Dorking apparently has a tumour on her ovary, she came to me crowing every day & quite bossy, but also laying eggs. She hasnt crowed for about a year now & is back to being a gentle & girly hen. Pip & Spot, both bantams that laid very large eggs for their size, both had an occasional spell of crowing - Pip's crowing was wonderfully tuneful, much nicer than my cockerel at the time!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant