My girls have disappeared

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

My girls have disappeared

Post by Bluefinch »

My two weren't around when I went to put them to bed and still no sign of them this morning. Feel really sad. Don't know if it was a fox or bird of prey perhaps. Strange that they both went. But they had a lovely life and I wouldn't have wanted them not to have been free range. The garden will feel really empty now.

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Re: My girls have disappeared

Post by KathJ »

Oh Bluefinch, how sad {cry} It's such a hard choice, to keep them safe and locked up or let them roam free. I just love seeing my girls exploring the garden and having a wonderful time. I know how hard that decision is >dum< If there's no sign of feathers or anything maybe they've just gone exploring further afield and may turn up >fi<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Hi Kath. I'd like to think that was the case as they did roam quite far afield and not seen any feathers. As you say I loved seeing them explore and would never have kept them in a run.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'm really sorry about that, Bluefinch. It's really sad. {hug} They may still turn up yet. Do let us know.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

So sorry to read this bluefinch, I would guess a Fox, I've seen them roaming around in the daytime quite a bit lately.

They may have young and were taking them back to feed them, or storing.

Nature is a wonderful thing but sometimes can be hard to take.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

It is very sad Richard. I will need something to fill the space they have left. Silly how fond we get of them - they were such good company in the garden and what will I do with the kitchen scraps now? I had some of their favourite couscous for them.

Wondering about ex-batts.
HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

Hi Bluefinch

sorry to hear your girlies have gone {cry}

yes, go for ex-batties - best thing I ever did! They are amazing little girls - so brave and resilient. And to see them flourish is wonderful - with all their individual personalities.
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Think I have decided not to get any more. The fox will only be back if I do. They were such characters.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's quite understandable how you feel, try what I did a few years ago - take a few weeks, 2 / 3 months and decide then.

Leave everything as is and should you decide to have more, give the whole caboodle a good make over - then proceed.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, I went from big movable flocknet to large (but nothing like as big) fixed run.
I had been saying, freedom + risk is what they want. But when you see freedom + certainty it changes your mind.
Think again later - You can give them better than a commercial owner.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

I am still pondering and will perhaps go for ex-batts if I can find some in Devon but will maybe make them a bigger run so I can at least keep them contained for part of the day. I have a sack of food, a bale of straw and a good sized house and it seems so quiet without them.