A lone hen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

A lone hen

Post by Grannyof4 »

In all my years (over 25) of chicken keeping I have never had just 1. Sadly over night Mrs Speckle popped her clogs. She was a bit quieter than usual yesterday but was still doing chicken things. I checked her for all the usual ailments and couldn't pinpoint anything. This now leaves me with Bertha, she is heading for 6yrs old and is laying nearly every day, she is a crested Legbar. She is a character and a half, comes when called and knows exactly what yummy things can appear out of the kitchen door. Has anyone found that 1 hen can be happy on her own. I am giving up keeping chickens now I have moved and don't want to go down the route of getting another. I suppose it is a case of watch and see.

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: A lone hen

Post by lancashire lass »

a friend of mine was in a similar position and came up with the idea of buying some fertilized eggs and let her sit on them - I'm not sure how she managed this but anyway, the eggs hatched. Everyone noticed the hen was like a proud mum and happy with her new chicks.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I had one hen for a while. I building a walk-in run as I discovered that flock-net wasn't safe. So she had to put up with both being alone and very restricted until it was ready. She didn't seem too bothered.

I did find that she integrated quickly with the others in the new (to all of them) run, so must have been glad of the company.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I've just posted on the other thread about an only hen. We were left with one for a while, and as she had always been quiet and kept herself apart from the other villains, she was quite OK. Also she never laid an egg, I sometimes wonder if this was why she isolated herself.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Thanks Spreckly
debs123
Lively Laner

Post by debs123 »

I hadn't see your post. It is a shame you are not nearer to me and perhaps our girls could have lived out their time together.
Debs
x
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,thank you for contacting,offer is there if needed.
Bob