Isnt this just wrong?

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
p.penn

Isnt this just wrong?

Post by p.penn »

Just down the road from me, this is happening to Pondtail woods {cry} {mr.angry} {mr.angry}

[youtube]I4HxTzLdbnE[/youtube]

The guy who bought it decimated this in weeks. When the powers that be were told, they said it wouldn't continue as it was nesting season. Yeah right. He just carried on. It was like the Lorax {cry}

What worries me is that he is likely just to ignore any penalties, and continue on his mission. Also I cant see the woods being restored to how they were 2 months ago. He has really trashed the land {cry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Isnt this just wrong?

Post by kitla »

gosh that's awful, I hope the owner gets punished & forced to give up the land. When I inherited some money I looked into buying a small bit of woodland nearby, it was classed as ancient woodland & there were strict rules about how we cared for it. This person is surely breaking the law - as well as being a complete toe rag (other word in mind)
Let us know what the outcome is
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Can you believe that yesterday they were out in force felling again ? }hairout{ Today I have been told that the council stop notice apparently only applies to the dumping of hardcore, and that it is up to the Forestry Commission to issue a stop to the felling, but clearly the owner is disregarding any moral duty he has to protect these woods. {mr.angry}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

That's awful Penn. {mr.angry}
Bah Humbug
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I think it may be worth contacting the Woodland Trust, they may be interested to know what's going on & might be able to speed up a reaction from FC - before all the trees have gone!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Luckily we have a wonderful PR person in the village who has contacted absolutely everyone!
Helen xx

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Oh I saw this on the news yesterday. It's awful {mr.angry}
I hope they manage to stop any more damage - I'd impose custodial sentences for people/companies that flout these laws. And remove the land from them. And when they come out of prison, give them community service to single handedly replant all the trees they have cut down...
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I vote for Mad Chick {rofwl}
Helen xx

Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I think that's terrible, why do people has so little regard for nature and how come it's so hard to stop them doing something like this :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Helen, this was a letter written to The Times in Friday (I think!)

No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well spotted Jem! Yes, there was quite a big article in the Times about it, and full coverage in the Evening argus. In the Argus, the journalist had really done their homework - details of his companies and amounts in them.

Also on F/book, there were old posts posted about when he did this before elsewhere, and the ensuing anger and disbelief. It reads much the same as now, and given that it appears not to have ended too well for him, I find it hard to fathom that he would go down that exact path again.
Helen xx

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Shocking !

Not only the woodland itself but it's against the law to cut down any trees which have nests or fledgling birds in them (exception being things like electricity supply etc).
This usually applies April til the end of August, without sounding big headed I stopped some tree surgeons cutting down a tree in the Lane last year because of this.

Hoping it works out, we only have 5% of the woodland we had 200 years ago.
Lose any more and we lose so much more on top.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

The site appears to have been well managed prior to its sale - the actual trees were pine, and not 100 year oaks or anything, but it's the soil that is the ancient bit, and that's been covered in tons and tons of hardcore {cry}

Having said that, as you say Richard, the nesting season was breached, and so much damage done to wildlife habitats. There are deer round there too.

It was so scary how fast it happened. One minute, a few trees being felled (which is normal in good management) the next, utter carnage. Lorry after lorry of hardcore being dumped there, chain saws decimating the woods further every day.

What I don't get is that given his 'previous', why they haven't acted sooner. I don't think he will ever be sorry, it appears to be a deliberate and aggressive act with experience of what would happen.

Fingers crossed for a good outcome.
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Tonight on SOUTH EAST TODAY

and in the ARGUS TODAY too
Helen xx

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Let's hope he sticks to it, what an absolute disgrace of a man }hairout{
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell