Temporary accommodation for chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
By Halves
Lively Laner

Temporary accommodation for chickens

Post by By Halves »

Once I've cleared Mum's house, and while her estate is being sorted and house being sold, we're going to be staying at my partner's house from where we can look for a smallholding. There is a large (approx 9sqm) block built shed with double glazed windows and door at the bottom of the garden which we've spent the last two days clearing out to make a temporary chicken house. It turns out to have a rather rubbly cement floor which we've gone over carefully picking up stray nails etc. Will it be ok just to put horse bedding down over that?

They'll have the run of a fenced garden (just balding weedy grass and paths) much of the time but might have to spend more time in the shed than they usually would in a coop. I'm hoping that's going to be ok as it's a large, light shed so it'll be a kind of coop and indoor run.

Also, with 5 chickens in a shed that size will the little gaps at the sides of the corrugated roof be enough ventilation or should I be trying to make a weldmesh shutter so the window can stay open?

My rescue girls and bantams have been living separately up until now but will all be living in the shed together. I've got some plastic shelving which I was thinking I'd put a nestbox on the top of for the bantams to fly up to so they can get out of reach of the rescue girls who would have their nestbox on the bottom. Does that sound like it would work?

TIA for any thoughts :)
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Temporary accommodation for chickens

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,I am sure they will be fine.
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I think it would perhaps be better if you can clear some of the rubble. What bedding are you going to put down. The chickens will dig around, hence clearing some rubble so they don't damage themselves. Good clean straw is probably the best and cheapest.
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

There are some holey bits round the edges so we've been trying to fill them a bit with the rubble. I'm not sure how well it will stay in there with chickens digging around but we'll keep an eye on it.

I've got a sack of easibed so there will still be most of that when we move as I only use a couple of handfuls in nestboxes here. It's a reasonably rural area so we should be able to get some straw too.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Put some wire across holes as well if you can extra protection .
Sounds good , The girls like rocks and things to poke about in . As long as not sharpe .They will eenjoy a different place to rummage around .
as said temp so they can put up with for a while .
Let us know how you get on.
Bob