Black Russian tomatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Chris50
Learner Laner

Black Russian tomatoes

Post by Chris50 »

Has anyone grown the Black Russian tomato? I have 3 plants all flowering at the moment. In the middle of the truss on each plant is an individual flower that looks as though it will open into a flower like a dandelion! Any ideas please?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Black Russian tomatoes

Post by lancashire lass »

I grew them about 2 years ago - I really liked them and would grow again, had a smokey like flavour if you could describe it that.

I'm not sure what you are asking about though. Flower variations are common in different varieties - tiny star shaped on miniature plants, big blousey or as you say, like a dandelion. Or is this the first time growing tomatoes? You need flowers to produce fruit - gently tap the flowers to knock the pollen about and they will set fruit. Always make sure the plants are kept well watered as you don't want the developing fruits to form blossom end rot (brown rotting patch were the flower used to be) And then let the fruit grow and develop - when ripening, the skin will turn a very dark red/almost black with darker green shoulder. I grew mine outdoors that year and although I managed to harvest quite a few, unfortunately some insect found them tasty too and burrowed in, followed by slugs and snails so keep an eye out when they are nearly ready.

Have you got fruit set already and asking why there is a rogue flower appearing in the truss? I'm not sure, maybe a late developer? I found the fruit got very heavy and the sheer weight often broke the truss off the main stem, so I'd be tempted to reduce fruit numbers per truss down to 1 or 2 and nip off any other flowers.

Hope your plants do well for it )t'
Chris50
Learner Laner

Re: Black Russian tomatoes

Post by Chris50 »

Thanks for your advice. It makes sense really. I have grown tomatoes for many years but only just branching out into different varieties . So, I will hang on in there and see what happens!