Marigold

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Marigold

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
I am just wondering if this is normal behaviour or should i be worried.
Marigold is about three and a half years old now and over the last few weeks has had a chest infection, which has now gone and a broken toe, i don't know how she did it but was checked over by a vet and it is now healing.
While she had the chest infection we had to quarantine her for just over a week and then re introduce her back with the other girls. This took about another week to do.
She has now been back with them for a while and has re taken her place in the pecking order (2nd).
My query is over the last few days she has been taking herself off on her own or going to sit in the nest box for a while even though she has not laid for a good few months. Is she broody even though she is not sitting on any eggs or is she just showing her age or showing a sign she is not well even though her tail is up and she is eating and pooing normally (she was wormed with Flub last month and i can't see any mites on her)?
Sorry for the long post.
Amber.

p.penn

Re: Marigold

Post by p.penn »

If her tail is up, she is eating and she is generally bright, I wouldn't be too worried - just keep an eye on her. She may well just be broody.

You may not find mites in a chook even if you have them, as they only feed on them at night, then retreat to a nice crevice. I'm
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

My brodie sit on nothing . Orther girls lay on top of them and they sit on theirs.
So she may well be brodie . make sure she drinks and eats well as being sick may have taken a lot out of her .21 days of sitting if you cannot get her to go back to normal.
Natures way .
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

My oldest girl Speckle is about 4 now and she often takes herself off to the nest box for a sit down even though she only lays every now and then. Sometimes I think she just like to have a bit of 'me time' away from the younger three {rofwl} and she sometimes sits in there for ages and ages while the others have to push themselves in to lay!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

If she is actually broody it would show in her behavior, fluffing herself up more, clucking, bocking and "growling" in a different way to normal, plucking out her own tummy feathers to put in her nest, sitting on the nest all day looking like she's in a trance! It could be that she's coming back into lay after a break. Respiratory infections can have a knock on effect on the egg making dept, they're connected in some way, so keep an eye on her. She might lay some odd eggs or some lashes when she starts again.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant