New Chick Owner From Cornwall

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
4littlechicks
Learner Laner

New Chick Owner From Cornwall

Post by 4littlechicks »

Hi there everyone. I am a new chick owner and very recently become the proud owner of 4 Chicks around a week old (maybe older). They were incubated. They are the Lohman breed. We are 95%-100% sure they are female. The previous owner was certainly sure they were girls. They are vaccinated too.

We have named them Edith, Esme, Mable and Mildred. We have had them 3 days so far.

They are currently indoors in a large enclosure with access to a constant infrared heat lamp. They eat so much!

We can already see feathers growing and we have only had them 3 days, they have suddenly grown tails! their temperature is around 85-90 degrees. They tend to pop under the heat for a bit and then get on with other tasks lol. They are an absolute joy to watch.

They will be going out into the shed-coop at around 8 weeks old.

We are looking forward to our first egg ;)

They are indeed very, very nosey. They watch me constantly and stretch their necks so high if they cannot see me lol

Anyway its lovely to be here and I'm hoping to learn lots about Chicken keeping which will help me raise my flock well :)

p.penn

Re: New Chick Owner From Cornwall

Post by p.penn »

Hello and welcome to the Lane. Must say you are very brave starting your chicken journey with such young chicks! I hope they turn out to be female for you too.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hens do have interesting characters - I've never kept chicks, though I remember my grandparents did. Have fun.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Welcome to the Lane.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,the chicks that I had for a couple of days was so noise , chirping all the time .,Right about eating , grow very quick , grab pictures and compare them as the y get bigger . If the same bred may need to put rings on as all the same colours etc. The pictures I have seen of the chaps flock are great . Big girls full of charactor .
Now is the time to hand train and get used to you . Handy when feeding meds etc.
Bob
4littlechicks
Learner Laner

Post by 4littlechicks »

Thanks everyone. Yes I am brave I am also slightly obsessed with them and constantly checking them every 5 minutes lol. I have even been sleeping downstairs!

We were originally looking for Chickens around 15 weeks or older but couldn't find any and when we did enquire they were all sold. Lots of people were offering day old chicks but I was to scared to take chicks on that young so the only other option was a week old chicks.

I am still exceptionally nervous and have grown quite attached to them. I just hope they will be ok and grow up into lovely ladies. x
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

what breed are they? we'd love to see some pics!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant