Sharp sand for run question

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
chookies
Learner Laner

Sharp sand for run question

Post by chookies »

I'm new to all of this we got our girls on the 4th June.
We decided to put sand down for the floor of the run so we got lots of sharp sand but it came wet , I stupidly thought it would be dry. My worry is although our run has a roof the sand it still wet , is this OK?
Just feels cold, wet and stodgy and I can't seive the poo . I thought it would have dried out by now as the rain isn't getting to it.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you
Ali

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Sharp sand for run question

Post by Grannyof4 »

Personally I would never use sand. Wood chip (not bark), aubiose and there are lots of horse beddings which are good.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I use Aubiose, perhaps you could put something like that on top of the sand & as it dries up they might blend together & make great dust baths. As for the poop I find the easiest way is to use a poop scoop & flick it into a bucket every day - then onto the compost heap of course!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
chookies
Learner Laner

Post by chookies »

Thank you, every time I researched what was best for the run it would always come back that sand was the best. I think it would be better if it was dry.
I'm going to get some aubiose to mix in and see how I get on , thank you as I've never herd of it before although it looks a lot like sawdust.
Hopefully it will help dry the sand , I've got so much sand now I don't want to get rid of it straight away.
Thank you
Ali
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

aubiose is bedding for horses, made from hemp I believe, its like teeny chips & quite absorbant - also insect repellant.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi only problem with sharp sand is it is used for building /cement . Not as clean as the childrens sand .
As long as the girls have a perch , branch they can stand on they should be ok .
Sharpe sand I think when it becomes dry is solid like concrete so a good mix of damp is best . (Keep their claws short .
Bob
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I use sharp sand and I find it okay. It will eventually dry out and will be fine especially if under cover. I also use Bio Dry (it's a drying agent which is normally put on coop floors) that helps to neutralize smells (but it's not strongly scented) and rake it in once a month.

The downside is if the sand gets wet - one run is prone to water seeping from under the shed and then the mix of poop and sand makes it more solid but despite that, I would still prefer sand than use wood chip.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , It is what works for you.
I was going to say , I sand corrected .... Chickens will enjoy it I am sure .
Bob
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Hi , It is what works for you.
I was going to say , I sand corrected .... Chickens will enjoy it I am sure .
Bob

{rofwl}

I meant to add that the girls love to have a dust bath in it when it is dry - I have a thick layer in their mini run which they use. Also, I have noticed in summer when I poo pick, it is easy to run my fingers through the sand (I do wear gloves LOL) and pick out the poop, and I also found the sand underneath cool which the girls might find useful in a heatwave
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , I must admit I would need big hands with 40 chocks.......
Bob
Hope you have a good time with them .
Sure you will.
Bob