Assisted hatch chick: post-hatch membrane issues

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Minxy
Lively Laner

Assisted hatch chick: post-hatch membrane issues

Post by Minxy »

Hi everyone,

I had to perform an assisted hatch this morning (eek). The chick had pipped a good 24 hours earlier but at the wrong end. It had managed a partial zip but no more. Fortunately, it had externally pipped so was able to continue breathing. The membrane had dried and stuck to most of its body, effectively creating a straight-jacket. Its head was also partially 'glued' to its body along with one wing. I did manage to get it freed as well as it's wing.

As you can imagine, its down has not fluffed up. It's hard and rough to the touch. Pretty much the same as what a wet, newly hatched chick looks like, except that it is dry instead. One of its eyes is also now glued shut. I haven't tried a second time yet (with warm water), as understandably, it was shattered and needed to rest. The good news is that it has perked up a bit this evening which is great news. So, other than water, is there anything else I can use?

Thanks!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

manda

Re: Assisted hatch chick: post-hatch membrane issues

Post by manda »

You could try putting a flannel or paper towel with warm water in to the incubator to push the humidity up and try and soften the membrane that way ...failing that a paper towel with warm water and hydrogen peroxide (1 part Hydrogen Peroxide to 3 parts water)...to minimise infection) and wrap the chick in it to soften the membrane. The basically gently with a pair of tweezers peel the membrane away from the feathers. You need to get it to a point where it can stretch otherwise it's going to have deformities from being scrunched up in the membrane....good luck.

Make sure the room is warm so while it's out of the incubator it doesn't lose too much body temp.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

I already have the chick out of its shell, it's been out for 24 hours now. I'll give that a try as it sounds a little more helpful than just water. Thank you! )t' Yes, I'll keep you updated. :-D
manda

Post by manda »

)like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Hi,

So 'PLT' as we have inadvertently taken to calling it (short for 'Poor Little Thing') is doing well. I didn't have time to go and purchase some hydrogen peroxide today so used surgical spirit instead.

PLT had a thorough bathing and eye wash (with a q-tip) to the closed eye. Both eyes are open now, yay! It hasn't done much at all regarding the glue-like down though. That said, PLT now has a slightly fluffy butt and some new-found confidence as, after drying off, was happy to stand up and have a strut around, looking quite happy with itself. )c( I think the new found sight gave it a needed confidence boost. I'm much more hopeful now, though I would feel much better seeing it eat. Currently it has shown no interest in doing so. But it's early days and PLT has been through quite a lot.

I'd happily post some pics but I'm really not very IT technical and failed to get photo bucket to even download earlier. :oops:
manda

Post by manda »

If it can now see ...hopefully it's found the food by now...if not you might need to peck it's beak at the food...it's something mum would have shown it or the other chicks but it's not had that either....same with water ....dip it's beak.

Hopefully PLT is on the up now...hard start but good on you for keeping at it....hope it keeps improving >fi<
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Hi,

Yes, I always teach my chicks how to feed, a tapping finger and flicking the crumb from side to side tends to work quite quickly! PLT got the hang of it (feed and water) but wasn't eating anywhere near enough, despite my attempts to hand feed. Sadly, PLT passed away while sleeping, after making it to just over 1 week old. :(