urgent advice needed

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

urgent advice needed

Post by amber66 »

Hello
Ruby has not been herself for a couple of days. I have just checked on her and her crop looked a funny shape. I picked her up to massage it and she started spurting brown liquid with what looked like rice grains in it. I tipped her upside down so the liquid poured out of her beak and massaged her crop at the same time to get rid of it all.
It seems empty now but she is rasping and struggling to breath a bit. Please tell me i have not hurt her and i did the right thing as i know if you don't tip them correctly i could make her very ill.
Amber.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: urgent advice needed

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , seen it with my girls . Need meds ,See vet .
Is she losing weight ..Tylan as a starter .
Let me know how she is pooing and weight . Must keep her weight on as need the energy etc. to fight the illness.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Amber

Don't giver antibiotics if she's got sour crop, it kills the bacteria on her crop she'll need specialized meds, can't remember the name but sandy will know

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if she didn't die as you tipped then she's probably okay, I think. You don't have to turn her upside down, imagine you were leaning her over a sink. Neck outstretchedh& supported. Only do it a littlittle while each time.

Bobs right thouthough if she's got sour crop, vets for meds. How is she today?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen and Bob.
Thank you for your replies.
She is a little better but hiding in the place they all seem to go when feeling unwell, in a dark corner under a shrub.
I have booked her and Marigold, as she is still not right, to see the vet this afternoon.
When i tipped her yesterday it was as you recommended and her breathing seemed ok after a few minutes. She has been laying soft shelled eggs lately so i have upped the limestone flour. Fingers crossed we get to the bottom of both of them this afternoon.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
Just got back from the vets and it is not good news.
Marigold: The vet could feel a hard lump in her abdomen and she had dark green poo on his glove which he said could point towards Salmonella. She also had a bit of a temperature.
Ruby: He could feel a lot of liquid in her belly and crop, but was not sure what the problem was though he doesn't think it is sour crop.
They are both now on Doxycycline in their water and in the dog crate in my spare room (Chicken A&E ).
He doesn't hold out much hope for either of them, but i will do what i can for them i am gutted to say the least. What did i do wrong?
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

HI
1. You have done NOTHING WRONG >
Unfortunately I have had and still have two girls sick.
You can do your best but at some point it will be time to say good bye. Natural or PTS .
Penelope was a miracle how she survived , some can have a delay others are taken quick.
Sure you will do the best for them and hope that they will recover and live a lot longer .
I treat the girls as best I can and if any dif symtoms then take to vets .
Trick I believe is to get to vets quick as often damage done and can not be healed .
Keep us all imformed . Will make a note of the meds as not had that one . If it does the job another med to get in the cupboard.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Amber

What Bob says. What on earth makes you think you've done anything wrong? It's an unfortunate turn of events that you have 2 girls sick at the same time,. but it's not unheard of. Sadly it sounds like Marigold has EYP or a tumour, and he's ruled out ascites for Ruby?

Amber, it's just really bad luck and as Bob says, their time. Please don't blame yourself. And {hug} to Marigold and Ruby
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you both for your kind words. I was a bit overwhelmed yesterday to think there is a good chance i might lose both of them.
Marigold seems a bit better this morning, she has eaten some banana, grapes and some meal worms and her tail is up.
Ruby on the other hand is not so good. I lifted her out of the pet carrier where she slept last night to try and get her to eat and drink and when she bent down to pick up a meal worm more brown fluid poured from her beak.
I took her outside and tipped her again to get rid of the rest that was in her crop. This time it did smell a bit. If it is sour crop do they also have lots of fluid in their belly?
Amber.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh Amber, I am so sorry {hug}
I don't know anything about sour crop but what I do know is that none of this is your fault, as Karen and Bob say. I think we all beat ourselves up when they get ill, but please don't {hug} You're a good chicken mum
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Touch wood I have had the good fortune of not experiencing anything like that, but researching the web it sounds like the brown fluid is from an impacted crop (preventing food from passing down to the stomach) On the Backyard Chickens site, there were a few suggestions (I'd be loath to use copper sulfate treatment without confidence of dosage though)

Impacted Crop

Olive oil and massage - olive oil can help loosen an impaction. Simply put a two or three drops of olive oil at the back of the chicken's throat so that she swallows it and gently massage the crop. This may need to be repeated. Make grit available to the chicken, as well.

Sour Crop

Powdered copper sulfate - has anti-fungal properties. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water, changed daily for several days. This will also inhibit the growth of certain types of bacteria, an added benefit. Can be used with apple cider vinegar.

Apple cider vinegar (ACV) - aids in the removal of mucus build up in the digestive tract that may contribute to sour crop. Can be used with the powdered copper sulfate.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Lancashire Lass.
Thank you for the information. I am not sure it is impacted crop as the crop feels squishy and not hard and i can't feel anything in it.
She bent down to pick a grape up this morning and fluid poured out of her beak again. It was clear with no smell so don't think it is sour crop. When i picked her up to tip her again in case there was any more fluid in her crop she felt hot and bloated.
I have rung the vets this morning and awaiting a reply as i won't have enough medication to last the 6 days needed as they are drinking so much.
I will see what he has to say and go from there. I don't want to see her suffer if there is no chance of a recovery.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It sounds as though she may have ascites (water belly) which is usually associated with circulatory problems, although I sthink it can be liver related too. Is her comb purple or dark red? Maybe the crop problem is a secondary problem.

Good luck at the vets >fi<
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen.
I put them both out in the garden in the sun for about an hour today, to start with they were wandering around but after a while they were both sitting in the corner half asleep.
While i was watching them Ruby's comb was quite purple but did redden up a little later.
They both seem to be losing weight especially Ruby, even turning their beaks up at meal worms. Marigold has eaten some banana and grapes today but i haven't seen Ruby eat anything.
I spoke to the vet and he just said keep on with the meds.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Amber you're giving them the best chance, it's up to them now to take it. They may pick up, but equally you may have to prepare yourself for the worst I'm afraid. Both those conditions don't have terribly good long term prognoses (eyp can be okay if caught early but then you're into managing the condition long term ie preventing the hen from laying again) Then again, the meds the vet has prescribed might be brilliant!

{hug}
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi ,Force feed the hens .
Keep giving meds .
They need the food to have a chance of fighting the illness.
My two girls are still in there . 1 has nerve problem eating and drinking but co ordination of pecking food terrible .Other has a very swollen belly /under neath . Probably a tumor . Still enjoying a sun bath .If I had not force feed meal worms cabbage and sweet corn I am sure they would both be dead.
Weight is going on both , although the tumor girl is probably the wrong reason..
my advise is to give them as much as possible little and often so as the crop is still working .
Worse case is they will not survive . but giving the meds is only thing to do .
If their body system starts to shut down (No food ) then it will be beyond helping them.
Opening the beak is easy once you get the hang of it . Sweet corn rolls down there throat and gives them energy and taste good .
Do not forget to give water as well .
Needle type squirter . Measure the ammount and again little and often . Hold head up so it does not get in lungs , do not over fill crop with the water as it will come back up .
Hope it is helpful. Give it a go . Weigh the girls on kitchen scale s . Big girl 1.8 kilos normal
Small girls 1.4 kilos Bantum s .750 . If below feed them .
Bob