Silversmithing

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Silversmithing

Post by jemberelli »

A few weeks ago I did an all day silversmithing course. I fancied trying something a bit different and this intrigued me. Luckily there were only 2 of us so we got more or less 1:1 tuition which was much better than if there had been 8 of us! We were shown different techniques and bascially told that we could make whatever we wanted using what we had been shown. We had to pay extra for the silver that we used, at cost price.

I made 3 stacking rings, one with a fairly poor flower (I am no artist but at least it is unique!) and a thumb ring. What a great course it was - it got me completely hooked and I am waiting for her to announce some more courses in bangle making for example so that I can go again. I would love to learn more and have the money to set up a small studio to do it myself but it is pricey to do - maybe one day!

No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Silversmithing

Post by kitla »

really nice, especially for your first attempt. I did an evening course with my Mum many years ago, but at the time I couldn't afford to buy the silver to make anything so the tutor let me use silver wire for free to make earrings. We loved it & intended to carry on with it at home but never "got round to it". I'll be interested to see how you get on it, maybe you'll inspire me to have another go!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

What beautiful rings Jemberelli, well done you.

A lady in our village does silverwork, and kindly loaned us some pieces when we ran an Arts and Crafts Display Day a couple of months since.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

It's just a shame it is so expensive to do - I certainly won't be able to do many courses in a short time. Fingers crossed I get to have another go though! I need a lottery win to be able to set up even a small area at home, so many tools needed - would help if I did the lottery!
Spreckly, I bet the lady's pieces were beautiful, it is amazing what can be done!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I love the stacking rings- well done. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com