Our Hen Adventure

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Our Hen Adventure

Post by KarenE »

Oh don't worry about the cat, the chickens will sort her out. Quite safe unsupervised. Mine is a right killer but the chickens have none of that.

The girls look at home already. Looks like you have some characters there! If they are into communications technology they may find & join the henpals. Beware if they do, as they usually end up even naughtier :-D

Give your mum the eggs by all means but remember the ones they are laying now are still ex batt ones as they will have been in their system already. You'll see the difference in size & quality when they start laying your eggs!

Sardines & mealworms will be good for giving them a boost, & poultry spice, help them put feathers back on. You may find they stop laying till they regrow.

Visitors are excellent, hope the girls were on their best behaviour, as one should always be when entertaining guest

I've never got the hang of picking my girls up, even my lap sitters.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Keep picking them without to much stress .
When you need to give meds and check for bugs (which is a def ) being hand tame will assist you .
Apart from that it is fun .
When the go down on their claws it is not wanting to be picked up but scared stiff.....
You are doing welll and showing off your flock is always good for you as you get to met more people and good for other hens in the same condition of cages etc.
Eggs will drop off ,that is why the farmer got rid of them . But they will lay again .
Do not forget the grit and shell ,required for eating and the egg laying bits.
Fish sometimes makes the eggs taste dif . So does rape seed .But that is the reason to have your own eggs to taste and makes them good.
Good reading .
I am not much good at writing in the third person /chicken as I would write in the diaries of the flocks of importance , which I am missing ......
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I am not much good at writing in the third person /chicken as I would write in the diaries of the flocks of importance , which I am missing ......

I think Quaker needs to take up the quill, Bob

You are right, the henpals have been neglecting their adventures lately {warn}
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

The covering for the run arrived yesterday so the house is finally set up properly and looks better. The girls were very interested in their house renovation and went back inside as soon as we finished to inspect it. No complaints so far.

They're getting a bit braver with leaving the house and go a little bit further every day they're let out. They all made it to the patio last night and had a good look around. Mellow even managed to perch on part of a chair!

Poor little a Peep has been limping a lot since we got her. Sweetie has as well but it looks like she's limping a bit less than she was.

It's fascinating to watch the girls, even when they're just pecking around. It's so hard to get anything else done. It's lovely that they're seeing things for the first time and are amazed by everything.
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

This is Dolly (left), Mellow (right) and I think Lolly enjoying some grass. They're so hard to take a photo of they never stand still long enough!

I do feel bad that I can't tell most of them apart yet without looking at thier coloured rings :oops:
*Katie*
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, just when you think you can tell them apart they'll all moult and come back looking slightly different!
I had 2 Black Rocks that I could tell apart, together (iyswim) one was more gold, the other orange. But which it was when there was just one.....?? No chance.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

The last couple of days the girls really seem to be settling in. They're getting used to thier routine and especially the sound of their breakfast coming.

Sweetie is still pecking but not as much as before. She's into exploring as well. She's been to the door of our house and had a good look inside. She's also found the shed and discovered all the food in there too!

Peep is getting a lot more confident and even let's me cuddle her {hug} She saw my husband watering the garden and loves the water can. She likes a little bit to be poured out slowly and watches it running away. Her face when it gets empty is so funny, she pokes her head in to see whats going on and just can't understand it.

Lolly and Dolly are like little twins. They're always together and causing mischief at bedtime. They're the hardest to catch and I'm sure they work together together to get away from us.

Mellow is the quietest but such a good girl. I had a cuddle with her yesterday but didn't manage very long. She's the most featherless of them all especially around her neck so I feel like she's the most fragile, but probably isn't!

Egg count is up to 21! It's crazy I don't know what to do with them all. They're very clever girls and all except one had been laid neatly in their bedroom.

Bedtime is getting tricky. They always want just five more minutes!

I can't believe they've been here only five days! It feels like we've had them forever and love them all so much. We're starting to think know us and they talk when they hear us coming. Although I know is more likely the food they love really )c+
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

KatieW90 wrote:Image

This is Dolly (left), Mellow (right) and I think Lolly enjoying some grass. They're so hard to take a photo of they never stand still long enough!

I do feel bad that I can't tell most of them apart yet without looking at thier coloured rings :oops:

I can now confirm that is Lolly at the back! )app(
*Katie*
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Brilliant photos )like( They are certainly going to thrive in their new wonderful home. I love how excited they get over running water {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

The girls have had a busy weekend spending all day in the garden which they loved.
They've been walking over a few flowers and took a dislike to one the geraniums and kept digging it out. It got replanted a couple of times but kept ending up flying past the widow to the middle of the lawn! Not sure what that was all about! Peep (we think) has eaten all the petals off them. They're aren't too bothered by the other plants...yet. We can't be cross and I knew this would happen.

Their food and water have been hung up properly from the roof of thier house and they're much more impressed by this. No more knocking over or kicking mud up in to it.

Peep is so used to us now, she's so easy to pick up and seems to be enjoying cuddles. Still not much luck with Dolly and Lolly, they still do anything to avoid a cuddle. I do stroke them everyday so they're more used to me. And little treats certainly help.

Sweetie and Peep have a thing for pecking jewellery and often gone for my ring so will have watch that! The others aren't fussed.

We've not seen much of little Mellow- she's found a spot of mud in the corner and been digging at it all weekend!
*Katie*
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

WARNING.......don't go out in open-toed sandals!!! They love a bit of toe......You are doing a fantastic job.
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Dolly sunbathing on the patio
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Grannyof4 wrote:WARNING.......don't go out in open-toed sandals!!! They love a bit of toe......You are doing a fantastic job.

Thank you :-D and thanks for the warning!
*Katie*
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

It's been really raining for the past couple of days so the girls have only had a bit of play time in the garden. They certainly made up for it today though, now that it's getting a bit better. I'm sure I used to have some flowers in my garden though >shrug<

They all got a treat of sweet corn today and loved it. They don't miss anything these girls and could spot their treat bowls as soon as I stepped outside. The cat was feeling very left out and licked out the empty bowl when they finished. I think she's feeling a bit outnumbered and left out lately.

Last night was the first night they put themselves to bed! We went out at about 9 to put them in, only to find they'd already gone and were all snuggled up inside. I was so pleased for them to have learnt what to do - but a bit sad as it feels like they don't even need us now.

We've been getting four eggs a day for the past few days. We had a tally going but completely lost count now.

Mellow and Sweetie have also discovered how to get in our house. They jump through the door, have a little look and jump back out. I'm sure with time we will end up finding them all over the place.

Lolly and Dolly are still so timid around me. They won't eat treats from my hand even. I'll keep trying gently though, I don't want to frighten them.

Peep is still being very cuddly {hug} she looks like she's gotten bigger and is getting quite bossy, even taking sweet corn from Sweeties beak {warn}

Hopefully we'll get some dryer weather and can spend more time in the garden with them )c(
*Katie*
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's sounds like you're all having fun! )t' It's amazing how quickly they settle in and make themselves at home isn't it? Don't worry you'll soon have them all bursting through your door and raiding the house, they won't keep hopping over the doorstep and back for long. My Tiddy taps on the cat flap to come in when the door's shut. Even my shyest chickens come in, and my boldest have come all the way into the living room and hopped up on the chairs for a sit down. Mind the cat's bowl though - my lot make a beeline for that and Jasper is not impressed!

Don't worry about them not needing you - it's better because they will now choose to hang around with you of their own accord, and they will. Mine come and mug me, trip me up and then disappear but always come back to see what I'm up to. Your girls will be the same, and how wonderful that you have a cuddly one. She may even turn into a lap sitter. )t'
Karen