Red Mite strikes!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Red Mite strikes!

Post by Spreckly »

Just been speaking with my daughter in law. They have got red mite for the first time since they got hens last year. Their hut is wooden, and they are getting covered with the little beasts when they collect the eggs.

One of the concerns is that they have a Yorkie, who has developed small lumps on her back, and they are wondering if the mite can live on animals other than hens. Dil has been on Google to try and find out, but there are no definite answers.

Please can someone help.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Red Mite strikes!

Post by kitla »

I have heard that mites will bite people if there's nothing else around, so I dont see why they wouldnt have a go at a dog, but they shouldnt actually live on it I wouldnt think.
I would think that the right spot-on would be helpful to be on the safe side, perhaps a flea & tick killer. Best to ask the vet for advice.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Oh the dreaded red mite lol }hairout{
I'd agree with kitla on this regarding the dog, but I'd be more concerned about your daughter in laws chickens. Red mite in those numbers can harm the chooks and as you know need to be eradicated (if possible)..
Time to bring on the sprays & powders!! yike*
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My son has dusted the hens and everything else inside the run and hut. Not so many red mites last night, and he didn't come in with any on his overalls and hat.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Spreckly wrote:My son has dusted the hens and everything else inside the run and hut. Not so many red mites last night, and he didn't come in with any on his overalls and hat.

Yech... as we all know, its now a matter of not letting up on the war against the dreaded mite }hairout{ - leave it for a couple of weeks or less and their numbers will have increased alarmingly again.. horrible horrible beasts )de: x
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My son has bought some bombs and the equipment going with them. So, watch this space.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} "Bombs" ??? yike*

Albert Einstein
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Yes, bombs, in a pack of four! My dil says there is no sign now of red mite, but I have warned her to continue with the safeguards. The hens are looking a lot better.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hi. The way we got rid of mite is as follows:

Get some tubes of cheap silicone and a gun from the pound shop and seal every single joint in the hen house. Sides joining roof and floor, perches joining walls etc, but every single one.

Get an empty kitchen/bathroom spray bottle and wet all surfaces in the house then throw small handfuls of diatomaceous earth at them, where they it will stick and remain even after the moisture has evaporated.

We never saw mite again!

Cheers

Mike
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Mike. I will pass this on to my son. At present there is no sign of mites after the powder and bomb, but they will need to keep on top of them.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Spreckly, do you know what the bomb is called that he used? I don't have them touch wood, but I do think using something like that every now and then could be a good preventative measure. I spray regularly with smite
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Trouble is, every time you use a chemical you are exposing the hens to it, and indirectly, everyone who eats the eggs. So not sure about using when not needed.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Karen, I will ask my son. I believe he bought them from ebay.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Karen - the item my son used is Poultry Red Mite Killer Treatment Smoke Bombs, 3.5kg x 4, professional grade.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Thanks Spreckly, it might be useful to have some in just in case I get a case of red mite to treat. It would be almost impossible to clean them out of the coop I am using (an old stone outhouse) so a smoke bomb would be ideal to get into the nooks & crannies

Thanks Spreckly
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper