My new bluebells and rir

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Re: My new bluebells and rir

Post by Powyswales »

The rir stick together like glue, is there a reason for this?

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Did you buy the two RIR together? they maybe knew each other, it could well be just that. Remember you've bought hens that were strangers to each other &need to sort themselves into a'flock'.. they'll go through the pecking order thing and you will probably end up with a top hen and some lower ranking ones..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Unless there's a huge immediate problem with your coop I'd leave it for a bit, you're not going to get a mass onslaught of redmite in the next month or so.. Especially if finances are tight, I'd concentrate on getting the run secure first..
You asked about a stronger mesh... I would advise weld mesh - I used 1" x 1/2" weld mesh - if finances are tight, then try to cover the bottom 3ft of the run (just firmly attach it over the chicken wire)
I managed to find the supplier I used - http://www.hillsofdevon.co.uk/aviary-mesh.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your set up looks great by the way, nice and big!! )like(
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Most on here recommend weldmesh. I thought I remembered the name Hills as good value Google finds http://www.hillsofdevon.co.uk/aviary-mesh.html.
Not sure what specification is recommended.
I do know that modern chicken wire is a lot thinner than the old style wire that our Grandparents used for hen-runs. it soon rots at ground level.
It's also a good idea to do soomething to stop foxes digging in, bury the mesh or put slabs round.
Ah, just seen that there are 2 pages now, so I'm duplicating other posts.

Pretty hen house, shame it's not quite what you need. but I agree, don't rush to change it. Some of us have tried Ketter garden stores, the ones the size of 2 wheelie bins. Various options in this thread, the converted sheds seem better value than the custom made hen-houses.
When you are ready to buy have a look at these links, if you buy through them it helps keep the site going.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Thank you or all the help, have read through all the replies, I am now wondering should i invest save up and invest in an eglu cube, https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/eglu_cube/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As im sure you all know they are expensive but is it a good investment, I want my girls to have a nice and secure life why they are with me, are the runs pretty much fox proof and does the skirt really stop them digging in? I am thinking of getting it with the 2metre run and placing it inside my run, the idea being they will be secure over night. The only negative i can come up with is that i live between 2 valleys so get a lot of strong wind in at times especialy in winter, wondering if this coop could get blown about if it is not heavy enough.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Awww they're gorgeous! I love Bluebells {hug}

I too would stick with your current coop for now. It seems silly to replace it when there's nothing wrong with it - replace it if or when it starts to deteriorate. When the time is right, have a look at Solway Recycling - they're a great little company making agricultural equipment from recycled plastic. They do a great range of chicken coops. We had the Eco Hen Loft, supposedly for 4 hens but with two nestboxes it comfortably held six.

http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycl ... o-hen-loft
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Hi, would the maxi hen loft be big enough for my 5 girls? Are they easy to clean and will they be ok in the wind. http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycl ... i-hen-loft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

They only recommend if for 4 hens so probably not because if your blues are anywhere near the size mine were it would be a squash. Do they do one for say 6?
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Grannyof4 wrote:They only recommend if for 4 hens so probably not because if your blues are anywhere near the size mine were it would be a squash. Do they do one for say 6?

Hi, they say this one is for 6 but it does not say if that would be 6 large or medium birds.
http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/recycl ... -hen-house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I think it would happily hold your six. We had four large and two medium in the eco hen loft and the maxi is a fair bit bigger. Our four large hens (two Orpingtons, Bluebell and Speckled Sussex) would share the two perches while the two medium (Speckledy and Fenton Rose) would snuggle up together in one of the nest boxes.

They're very well made and come assembled ( we just needed to attach the nest boxes). Easy to clean as you can hose them out and dry off with a towel if necessary whereas wood could take hours to dry out fully. Ours was fine in the wind, it was always dry and cosy in there even in winter. It had an adjustable air vent in the back to allow enough airflow to avoid condensation.

It's a good idea to still use some red mite prevention stuff with plastic. They can still get red mite in them, it's just far easier to get rid of them. I used diatom powder around all the joints and ends of perches just in case.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Mad Chick wrote:I think it would happily hold your six. We had four large and two medium in the eco hen loft and the maxi is a fair bit bigger. Our four large hens (two Orpingtons, Bluebell and Speckled Sussex) would share the two perches while the two medium (Speckledy and Fenton Rose) would snuggle up together in one of the nest boxes.

They're very well made and come assembled ( we just needed to attach the nest boxes). Easy to clean as you can hose them out and dry off with a towel if necessary whereas wood could take hours to dry out fully. Ours was fine in the wind, it was always dry and cosy in there even in winter. It had an adjustable air vent in the back to allow enough airflow to avoid condensation.

It's a good idea to still use some red mite prevention stuff with plastic. They can still get red mite in them, it's just far easier to get rid of them. I used diatom powder around all the joints and ends of perches just in case.

It could well work for me then as only one of my rir perch the rest sleep in the nest boxes, Do they feel solid and built to last? The other thing i like is they are raised of the groud compared to other solway coops. Would you say there was any negative points to the hen loft or things that could be improved.

I am going to check my 3 local garden centres at the weekend just to rule wooden coops out, then i may well go for the solway maxi loft.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

The first link you put up did say 4 hens but the 2nd link does say 6 and would be fine.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Yes, they felt well built and solid. It's the kind and if plastic that doesn't go brittle with age and won't shatter or crack.

I also liked it being off the ground but wish it was a little taller - the space underneath wasn't quite tall enough to be useful. It would have been great if there was enough height to put the chicken feeder, keeping it dry. We had a red roof on ours which did eventually fade a bit in the sun - our chooks would often sit on the roof so there were a few poo stains which didn't wash off. I'd probably go for one of the other roof colours if I were to buy another.
Lucy x