Baby blanket - yarn advice please

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Baby blanket - yarn advice please

Post by jemberelli »

Hubby's brother and his partner are expecting their first baby late December. I have bought a wicker hamper style basket and am going to buy things bit by bit to fill it before baby comes. I have decided that I would really like to crochet a blanket, it will line the basket and also be something a little more personal. The only problem is that I have never crocheted so I have until December to learn and make the blanket!

I have scoured t'internet and found some tutorials and a pattern for an easy baby blanket. What I am unsure of is the best yarn to use, weight, what it should be made of wtc. Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way!

Edit - this pattern calls for aran but I am not wedded to it so can look for a diffferent one if someone recommends a nicer yarn.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Baby blanket - yarn advice please

Post by albertajune »

As the pattern calls for aran and you want to use something different, can you adapt the tension for a different yarn? If you can and it is for a new born baby, have a look at baby double knitting. It is lovely and soft and has some pretty colours. Not sure of the make but google should put you right. God luck on the project )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks for the advice June. Will keep you posted on my efforts!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, I was going to say baby DK - don't know if they make a baby Aran :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ps - if you need crochet tutorials I can recommend Lucy at Attic 24, Bunny Mummy and Little tin bird x
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Brilliant, thank you Helen!

The yarn that was recommended for the pattern is Red Heart Soft Baby Steps but the 100% acrylic put me off. I suppose it would make it very washable though so maybe I should try it with that - assuming I can actually get to a level where I can try a blanket! Will also have a look at the baby DK that you both recommend as well, thanks both {hug}

June, adapting tension for a different yarn sounds like gobblededook at the moment!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Aran is thicker than DK, so if you use DK, the blanket will come up smaller. You can add more stitches to the blanket, but if there is a pattern, you may find this tricky as you would have to make sure you add an exact number to cover the pattern repeat (if that makes sense! {rofwl} )

Personally, as a beginner I would go with the recommended yarn if you can get it, then that problem is solved! It sounds like baby Aran anyway!
Helen xx

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Yes, adding stitches may be a step too far! {rofwl} Thanks again for taking the time to reply {hug}