Bluebell stopped out

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Bluebell stopped out

Post by Powyswales »

Hi, last night i checked on my chickens at 8.30 and all was good, an hour later i decided to see if they had roosted so i could lock the coop door, on checking inside i noticed one of my bluebells was missing, checked the garden and she was nowhere to be seen, i then checked neighbours gardens and the field behind me by this time it had gone dark. I was gutted and thought that is it she has gone. This morning at 5am i was woken to a very vocal chicken, looked outside and sure enough it was bluebell trying to find her way back into the run, no idea where she got to or where she spent the night but glad she came home....

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Bluebell stopped out

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi welcome to the chicken world .
Learnt a lesson . Girls do what they want . Sometimes like children you have to make them behave.
Try to get in run/coop before dusk as looking for a roosting chicken in the dark is not fun and very worrying .
Glad you had a great outcome .
It has happened too me more times than enough . get them in a habit of going in with a tin/container with corn in to rattle .
Free range has its draw backs against locked up in a run.
Keep writing ,this could help someone else before it happens.
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I have always "trained" my hens to go to bed on my say so. I have always put them in the run about an hour or so before "lights out" with a little treat and then get them to go in the house when I go back out.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

What a dirty stop out, obviously fancied a night on the tiles {rofwl} I always put mine back into the run with a bit of corn in a pink tin bucket well before it starts to go dark. That way at least I know they're safe and have an hour or so pottering in the run before they take themselves off to bed!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

Hi, I have started putting them in the run 1 hour before sun down.

I got my new coop from solway early this morning :-D , it is the maxi hen loft. I think it looks really nice with the grey roof.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , My Silver Leaf (`Postman`s friend ) , Stayed out all night Sunday .
She is a problem as will wander off exploring un noticed and or hide in any corner .
Safe the following day (Morning ) but not happy with her behaviour .
Kick myself this morning but did not see her anywhere.
it was getting late when I put them away , and midnight she was not at the run door .
Naughty girl .
Bob