Ex Battery Hens and Pecking

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Ex Battery Hens and Pecking

Post by KatieW90 »

I'm new to having hens and just rehomed my first 5. I was expecting some pecking but am a bit concerned over one.

There was the odd pecking at first so we just let them be, but over the last hour it's gotten worse and to the point four are being kept down one end of the run by the other.

Is this normal and something that will settle in time? I'm not sure if I'm worry too much as I'm new to this so I'd be grateful if anyone could advise :?
*Katie*

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Ex Battery Hens and Pecking

Post by Mo »

The usual advice on here is let them sort themselves out unless blood is drawn. But they are attracted to blood so cover any red with purple spray. Make sure there are enough feeders so that they can all eat and drink. Yes it can be nasty to watch but they need to sort out who is boss, and obce they know their place all should be calmer.
How are they today?
Some say pick up the bully and walk around with her under your arm so that she knows you are boss. And partition the run and keep the bully separate for a while if it is too bad.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KatieW90
Lively Laner

Post by KatieW90 »

Hi Mo, thanks for your reply.

No blood was drawn but it looks quite scary and the hens getting pecked just looked so sad.
It seems to just be the normal pecking order sorting itself out now, and I did know to expect a bit, but seeing it in person worried me a bit.

Since going to bed last night and adding more food bowls, it's calmed down a lot already.
*Katie*
eitoof
Learner Laner

Post by eitoof »

Question about ex batts.

I rescued 6 of them on Sunday last - they are quite feisty and appear reasonably healthy but have a lot of feather loss. Should I be applying anything to the bare patches? I've heard Sudocream mentioned.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Moulting and also close quarters where kept .
Feathers grow back. Give them extra ,I think , cat food ,fish , plenty of grit/oyster shell to eat . Can put some booster fluid in water to help . It is a natural process , story of the ugly duckling comes to mind . Take a picture and then take one in a month and compare , you will be surprised at the difference in them . Check their combs , bit on there head . It should be large and fatty . When in poor condition (moulting or sick ) ,it drops and can go purple . Would not worry at moment as long as they eat the pellets and drink water as hot they will blossom.
Keep in contact and any concerns write up . Sooner rather than later as they hide illness very well.
Watch the lower pecking order girls and make sure they get the food as well.
Are they still laying eggs , as when moulting heavy they stop to recover and grow the feathers back.
Hope it is helpful but it is a learning curve that you can only do .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

I think they should be fine without sudocreme, as Bob says they'll feather up once they get lovely fresh air and good food. Unless they are being pecked badly or are bleeding, the sudocreme probably isn't necessary.

Just watch out for them in this very hot weather. They will have come from climate controlled sheds (unless they were free range) and won't be used to this heat. Lots of water, wet fruits like melon, and you can freeze peas or sweet corn in ice cubes or serve in water to help make sure they get enough water and keep cool. And shade. )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
eitoof
Learner Laner

Post by eitoof »

Thanks folks - I already keep hens - it's just that I never rescued ex-batts before.

I've been giving them extra cat food, and oyster shell. Need to get more ACV.

They are laying fine - 4 from 6 on day one, 2 from 6 on day two and their combs are all in good condition so I'm pretty optimistic. )like(