My broody chicken

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
GailC
Lively Laner

My broody chicken

Post by GailC »

Dear All
I'm hoping you can help me with some advice please. About a month ago my friend brought round a cockerel that her dog had caught and we put it with our 2 chickens. I realised that this was a big mistake straight away as the cockerel would not give the chickens a minute's peace so the next day my friend came to collect the cockerel.
Now one of my hens is sitting on some eggs and will not come out of the coop. She attacks us when we go near her and I realise she is broody. I wondered whether it is possible to be fertile for so long after mating with a cockerel? I don't know whether to let her stay on the eggs and see if they hatch or take them away from her? Any advice would be much appreciated.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: My broody chicken

Post by KarenE »

Hi

The short answer is yes - eggs can stay viable until the broody brings them up to a certain temperature to then allow the embryo to develop - this is why they can lay a clutch, then sit on them and have the chicks hatch at around the same time. So yes your eggs could be viable if the cockerel did his duty so to speak.

The bigger question is - what will you do with the chicks? Especially any boys that hatch. I would say if you haven't got a plan for rehoming them, especially boys, then don't let your broody hatch the eggs.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Karen you said it all.
Bob
GailC
Lively Laner

Post by GailC »

Many thanks for your reply Karen. Actually I worked it out and it was at least 6 weeks since the cockerel came to visit so not sure if there are any fertilised eggs under our Dora? If they were definitely fertilised eggs I would wait and let her hatch them as we have plenty of space and have 4 chickens at the moment so not a problem. If I got cockerels I would give them to one of my neighbours as we are surrounded by them anyway! Unfortunately they only have one purpose only in the countryside in Portugal - for the pot.
The problem is trying to get the eggs (apparently mother in law saw 3) away from Dora as she is sitting on them constantly! I really don't want to distress her. After at least 6 weeks do you really think there is a chance of any chicks? I have been collecting the eggs right up to a week ago?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Gail

Ah well that's the cycle of life and all that isn't it? At least they will hopefully have had a good life, a quick death and your neighbours will know exactly where their food came from and what went into it.

As far as your 6 weeks goes, to be honest I don't know as I've never hatched chicks or even touch wood had a broody yet. The Chicken Chick has some good advice though:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/0 ... g-egg.html

In her article on hatching, she indicates hatching success drops if the eggs are older than 7 days from fertilisation to incubation, so it would seem 6 weeks probably is pushing it.

You could try candling them, if you can get them off her! You might have to be eagle-eyed and sneak in when she's off the nest for a poop and food.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, since the clutch is bigger than 6 ( I think about a dozen) I suspect that it must be OK longer than that.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire