Redoing a run....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
TinaMG
Learner Laner

Redoing a run....

Post by TinaMG »

Hello,
I'm new to keeping chooks (of my own) and am currently redoing their living area. I have three which might soon be 6 but thats another question.
They are laying well.
They have a wooden coop which will be raised from the ground. Biggest pain with that is angling it for egg collection and cleaning. However, Mrs Angsty who likes to be "up" will enjoy it.
My biggest questions are about the run bit.
1) I'm using two fences as two sides and the resident trees as cover/shade for them. I cannot put a full roof on, do I really need to?
1a) I might put a bit of a roof of to reduce winter mud and also to collect rainwater. I've fgot some spare guttering etc., lying around.
2) I'm using a small raised wall as the medium to batten the run walls onto. Because its solid brick, would I need to add kickboards or anti digging boards?
2a) The wall has a gentle curve in it hence the battening. Is there anything else I need to consider. I can't move the run as it is literally the only place it can go and the chooks are a feature in the garden (and the toddlers!!)
3) I see ads for fox proof mesh/ chicken wire and today someone suggested chain link. Seriously, what is the best? Is anything besides brick fox proof?

I'm collecting wood for outdoor perches, swings and other chook fun. That's another ongoing project

Any advice hugely appreciated.

Tina
Tina
Sharing a home and air with... Bettina (GSD) Mr Bo (Venerable Border Terrier); Bad Ass Mother Clucker; Yolko Ono (Bad Ass in Training) & AllEggsandra McPreen[color=#400080]
[/color]

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Redoing a run....

Post by Mo »

Hi, welcome to the Lane.
You say
I'm new to keeping chooks (of my own)
. Does that mean you used to care for some-one else's? Have fun with yours. The 3 soon to be 6 sounds a familiar story.

I can't quite picture your 'raised wall'. Are you asking if a fox will dig under it?

You are right about winter mud! Summer mud too in the weather we've had these recent years. Some hens are more flighty than others. If they can get from the top of the coop into the branches of the trees they might decide to roost there.
I had 6' fences (chicken wire, as OH was convinced that was what you needed*) my White Star was roosting in the overhanging trees until I roofed the part of the run over the coop. I used netting and draped it around the branches. No an ideal solution as it drooped so I had to stoop.

*You are right to be wary of foxes. {cry} Most on here recommend weld mesh and find Hills prices are OK.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)wav( hi and welcome

TinaMG wrote:1) I'm using two fences as two sides and the resident trees as cover/shade for them. I cannot put a full roof on, do I really need to?

foxes can climb trees ... and then use the fence to get in ....

However, like Mo, I'm having difficulty imagining the walls and so on - would it be possible to )piicy( please? You will need an account with Photobucket or something similar so that you can copy and paste the URL address into the post but easy enough to set up.

Is the reason for you being unable to put a full roof on is because of the trees? Don't let that stop you - I built my first chicken run under a tree (admittedly still fairly small then, with not many branches at roof level) and enclosed it with corrugated plastic roof (I butted the edge up to the branches and cut holes in overlapping ones, see my first post in my Chicken Diary) Since then, I realised I should have made sure the corrugated bit should not have had a trough leading to the hole as it drains water into the run, but I used an old chimney pot for water to drop in so protect the rest of the run from getting wet. The tree has a good root system that spreads out beyond the run and is not suffering from lack of water under the roof. I did have to set up some guttering later on to catch the rain water off the roof and redirect it - it was a sort of working progress LOL

>gl< with your new project - please let us know how you get on
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , sometimes it is not just foxes but mink etc. . Smaller the wire better the protection .
Photo is good as then more suggestions and advice can be given .
Best wishes and keep a note for future .
Bob
TinaMG
Learner Laner

Post by TinaMG »

Does that mean you used to care for some-one else's? Have fun with yours. The 3 soon to be 6 sounds a familiar story.

My friend kept chooks and they would live between our two houses

I can't quite picture your 'raised wall'. Are you asking if a fox will dig under it?

No, its more if I need to add kickboards which I've seen on some runs. My garden has raised beds and the chooks live on the top deck. Ill try to do the picture things but its taking a while to upload...

I understand the need for a roof but can't enclose the whole space with a solid cover as its also quite sunny where they live. Hence I'm thinking a 50/50 roof, as for roosting, its currently the garden table {rofwl}
Tina
Sharing a home and air with... Bettina (GSD) Mr Bo (Venerable Border Terrier); Bad Ass Mother Clucker; Yolko Ono (Bad Ass in Training) & AllEggsandra McPreen[color=#400080]
[/color]
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

You don't really need a kick board, although that said I don't have any and am always having to sweep up the run flooring off the path as they kick it out. I don't think a kick board is a security thing. As has been said, as long as foxes can't dig under (bury wire into the ground or place on slabs) and you're using fox proof mesh. My main worry would be the roof - as has been said, a fox could climb the tree and get in that way. Could you attach a tarp or staple wire around the tree? Or finish the run just in front of the tree?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Ah, I get it now, wasn't sure what a kick board was. Yes they do scratch and send flooring out through the wire.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I get it now too LOL. Yes, keeps the sand in from all the scratching. Also, after you have stapled the netting down, screwing the "kick board" over the top does help to "strengthen" the netting from being easily ripped out by foxes (a determined fox could still get in but makes it harder work)
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

Excellent time to re-do or generally service your set up.

All set for Winter....brrr !!
brrr for us that is, Chickens seem to prefer Winter to Summer, just keep them cosy.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome