New puppy

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Mad Chick

Re: New puppy

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Mercedes

Could they get someone to to either come in or to walk the puppy in the morning? We have loads of professional dog walkers round here and most offer puppy home visits for situations like this where they come in and sit with the puppy for an hour, let it out for a wee etc. Maybe she could have someone come in 3 times a week and you on the other 2 days.

Or she could try Borrow My Doggy - maybe there is someone local who would love to borrow a puppy for a few hours a day...
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

There are ways round this situation but the poor puppy is not going to know whether it is coming or going. IMO the only solution is don't get the puppy. If they want a dog then go to a rescue and get an adult dog.....there are thousands looking for a new home.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I would have thought that, unless you are very careful (and lucky) WHICH rescue dog, that could also bring problems, as you won't know its history and the insecurities it brings along.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Most reputable Rescue societies know what the dogs problems are and will tell you.
Even if the dog comes in as a stray it is tested in different situations etc. As
are those that are gifted in.
No dog nor puppy is going to just slip into the family situation There will always be some adjustments on both sides.
Anyone who thinks getting a puppy is an easier options is mistaken. Rescue dogs are usually housetrained and calmer.
You don't know the pups temperament or it's inherited traits. Nurture is vitally important. But nature plays it's part.
Getting a dog....or any animal..... cannot be done lightly
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Unfortunately for animals, if someone decides that they want a new pet all reason goes and their want comes before anything else. There is nothing worse than hearing a dog barking or crying and you can do nothing about it. What makes it worse it that if the dog does something while alone that the owners aren't happy about, it may be punished. So sad and all too common.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I can't help thinking that perhaps a puppy isn't right for them, and I know that places that rescue dogs have very strict rules sbout how many hours they can be left.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Well they have paid the deposit for the puppy and went up to visit her yesterday, so they are definitely going to get her.

My son is much more sensible than my daughter in law when it comes to this whole subject, as he was living at home when we had our labrador, so he knows how much work puppies are and he knows how much they need human company.

He's decided to work from home for 2 days a week, which will be a big help. Our daughter in law is going to work from home for 1 day, so that just leaves 2 days a week when she will be left on her own for a few hours in the morning and then in the afternoon. We've offered to go to their house on those days, probably after our daughter in law has popped home at lunchtime and wait till my son comes home. I'm not sure how long we can stay for as obviously we have Daisy to think of too, so we are hoping the 2 of them will get along with each other as I don't intend leaving Daisy at home on her own.

Also OH is waiting to go into hospital to have a staged bilateral knee replacement, so he will be out of action for some time and I don't think I could get to their house on my own :?
Lyn

Post by Grannyof4 »

Knee placements are not a problem. The most frustrating bit is not being able to drive for 6 weeks. I was OK with my left as I have an automatic car but had to wait the 6 weeks with the right one. I am on my own and managed fine.
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Post by nicklincs »

Poor poor puppy, its so sad pets are bought when they cant be cared for as they should.