jam thermometer

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

jam thermometer

Post by bmpsands »

I wish I'd never bought the thing! Possibly I have misunderstood its use.

The first batch of jam of the year was blackberry. Being a novice jam maker I bought a thermometer that was supposed to take the guesswork out of identifying the setting point. Just to be on the safe side, I put my saucer and a few spoons into the fridge.

Jam got to the required temperature and seemed to be forming thicker bubbles (do you know what I mean?) but just to be sure I did the cold spoon and saucer trick. No wrinkles so I gave the jam a bit longer.

You will have guessed by now that the jam has set a lot firmer than I would like.

Any advice please?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: jam thermometer

Post by Mo »

Well, maybe you should have trusted it.

I have a jam thermometer that I don't use. A normal thermometer in a metal surround that you have to hold in the saucepan. And it's hard to see without lifting it out of the jam. I'm sure there must be better on the market now. My jam is a bit hit and miss.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Bea - I've never used a jam thermometer. I just use a saucer and a spoon, and once the mixture wrinkles, then I pot it up. Having said that, I have not made jam for years, and once had to re-do a whole batch of strawberry, after listening to the seller, who said that his berries did not need any setting agent.

I do, however make chutney every year, own toms, courgettes and apples, plus some dried fruit, and not had a failure yet!
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Like Spreckly we just place some on a plate/saucer, leave and wrinkle test it, for fruits low in pectin we add a small amount of lemon juice at the beginning. Our first batch of the year is normally either too thick or too runny but after that we get back into the swing things. I like to have my mulberry jam runny as I enjoy putting it into yoghurts etc.

I never knew there was such a thing as a jam thermometer but I am new to all this.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have a jam thermometer, but never use it. I use the saucer method, but it can be a bit hit and miss.

I actually have a jam maker too, and that is good except you still need to ascertain when setting point is reached v
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for the replies. I think I made the mistake of trying both the temperature and saucer in fridge method. Rhubarb and ginger next- after I've done a hen rescue and had a couple of days away. Fingers crossed.

By the way, my thermometer fastens on to the side of the pan and is adjustable to take into account the depth of the mixture. In spite of that, I'm probably going to stick to the old fashioned method.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.