27 Week old hen has a problem.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Devonrich
Lively Laner

27 Week old hen has a problem.

Post by Devonrich »

I took Freyja to the vet yesterday, it cost me £41.14 for her to tell me she doesn't know what is wrong with her. She injected her with a pain killer and gave me a syringe to give her a second injection today, I'll give her a week to show signs of improvement then I'll have to euthanise her if things don't change for the better. She seems bright and healthy with food in her crop, but she can't walk and is very underweight.

When she tries to walk she sticks her wing out like she doesn't have control. It's sad to see her like this. She laid 3 bantam sized eggs a couple of weeks ago then the trouble started.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You are what you drink, and I'm a bitter man.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: 27 Week old hen has a problem.

Post by kitla »

oh dear, it's sometimes hard to find a vet that has much knowledge about chickens. It's best to search for avian or exotics vets. Or let us know the nearest town to you & praps someone here might be able to recommend one.
Anyway as for poor Freyja, is she actually a bantam or were those eggs unusually small for her? (If they were wind eggs she could have an infection in her ovary). Firstly you say she's eating but still thin, what are her poops like? especially overnight, that's often the best clue. Is her crop emptying overnight? Does her breath smell bad? has she been wormed recently ? despite being thin, how does her under tummy feel - is it a bit swollen? or hot? did the vet take her temperature?
Is her tail down? is her vent sort of pulsing alot of the time?
When she loses balance do you think its because she's weak or does it seem more like her balance is actually affected? (thinking of mareks)
sorry about so many questions, but if your vet isnt avian experienced he may have missed something.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Devonrich
Lively Laner

Post by Devonrich »

We have a vet in the village who is reputedly a chicken expert, unfortunately she is on holiday at the moment.

Freyja is a large Plymouth Rock which I grew from an egg, her brother is a big boy who looks after the three maran hens. The three eggs she laid were complete albeit small, but this is not unusual with the first eggs, until they have sorted themselves out, but she suddenly started hiding away in a dark corner, and her comb and wattles stopped growing, although they are a nice red colour, her eyes are bright and she has fab plumage. She doesn't have a temperature and seems perfectly OK until she tries to walk then she has no co-ordination. She steps on her own feet and her wings start flapping as she tries to move, usually ending up in a nose dive.

I have her separated from the rest, and she can move into her coop and to the food and water. When I can I put the water by her and she always drinks.

The vet thinks it must be something neurological. To be honest, although she is a lovely girl this has cost me £41 already and I don't think I can really afford to go back to see the vet again.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

You are what you drink, and I'm a bitter man.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Oh dear, I hope it isnt mareks but it does sound possible. The only other thing I can suggest trying is to give her some avian multivits. There is something that if lacking can cause neurological problems, I think its one of the b vits, but not sure. A long shot but maybe worth a try before giving up on her.
One other thing, do you think Freyja could be interbred?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am sorry to hear about poor Freyja but I am so annoyed to read the vet didn't know what was the problem but charged you anyway!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I hate to say this but it does sound like mareks. Google it and see what you think.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I have had the same .
Lost 2 out of three girls.
Cuddles is still alive has vision impaired /nervous problems. I force feed and she was hand fed in a bowl where she could find the food . Needed seperationg as bullied off food.
Basically it does depend on the amount of time you have .Needs feeding twice a day at least . Weigh her . If she gets below 11.4 kilos you have a problem as her body system will shut down and no way back.
There is hope but you will have to as you are a where she may die .
My Cuddles is wandering around and a real treasure to have . I check that she gets plenty to eat and drink .
Marek`s is more than likely .Not sure if born to it or caught .
Wish you well and the girl let us know the outcome and how you treat . Good for future needs.
Bob