Miranda my Ex batt hen has just hatched 2 chicks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
ChookieBirdie
Lively Laner

Miranda my Ex batt hen has just hatched 2 chicks

Post by ChookieBirdie »

Can't believe it's 2 years since I last logged in to Down the Lane.

Much has changed here. I've lost a lot of my ex batt girls over the years, although Wee Craw lived to a grand old age of 5 1/2. Big Lou our big, beautiful cat has also gone to rainbow bridge, and Bob our other cat is 13 now. He has hyperthyroidism, controlled by medication and blood tests, but still enjoys life.

The biggest change is Zack, our now year old Dobermann. He's a joy and a soppy big lump. We were told they were a high energy breed, but I still underestimated how much energy he has. He's like the Duracell bunny! That's why I've got no time to post.

Anyway, Miranda has been with us 2 years now, so she will be around 3 1/2 years old. This is the 3rd time she has gone broody. I got some fertilised eggs from the farmer and a loan of his incubator, just in case she didn't sit. Well she did sit, and 21 days later I welcomed a little black chick and a little yellow chick this morning. We still have 1 egg left but I'm not sure about that one, as I think there is a slight smell off it but I'll keep checking it overnight. She is very happy with her little babies.

I am amazed that she overcame the odds to want to sit on eggs, as an ex batt, enriched cage hen, whatever they want to call it. Her instincts kicked in and she became a mamma. It's just so sweet and natural to see her being a normal chicken.

I've got homes for them if they turn out to be cockerels, I'll keep one and the farmer will take one, I didn't really think about little boys I was so caught up in the moment, so probably won't do it again but it worked out this time anyway.

{hug} I would like to thank everyone on DTL who helped me on my chicken keeping road with great advice and always someone willing to help if I had any problems along the way. I'm still hooked and can't see me not having my little batts for as long as I can.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Miranda my Ex batt hen has just hatched 2 chicks

Post by Mo »

Great.
What fun to watch them grow.

You know what we'll say so I might as well get in first. )piicy(
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
ChookieBirdie
Lively Laner

Re: Miranda my Ex batt hen has just hatched 2 chicks

Post by ChookieBirdie »

I wish I could. Got photos on phone but wouldn't know how to upload them. I couldn't even send them to friend in text :oops: Keeps saying unable to send?

The last egg was rotten, the smell got much stronger and I thought it was safer to take it out. I put it in a sealable bag and put it outside. I was fussing around Miranda when it exploded. So glad I put it in the bag, I would have been covered in smelly egg +pinn+

Just spoken to farmer, he will take a boy if we have them, but fingers crossed its 2 girls or 1 of each, then they'll be staying with mamma >ch<