Slugs!!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Slugs!!

Post by KathJ »

We are absolutely inundated with slugs around and in the chicken run yike* Horrible slimy things and they get everywhere!!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Slugs!!

Post by KarenE »

Don't your chickens eat them Kath? A couple of mine do - these are the first chickens I've ever had who seem to like a slug! I find slugs try and get into the containers where I keep the girls' food. Have you tried a beer trap for them?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They eat potatoes, I've found big ones and tiny ones, leaving a big hole or an empty skin.
My chickens wouldn't eat them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Unfortunately my girls don't seem interested in slugs at all :? I'm quite glad really as some of the ones in our garden are enormous. I heard on the radio at the weekend to scrape out an orange and leave the skin out and it'll be full of slugs in the morning!! I tried it last night and obviously the slugs around us aren't interested in citrus fruit as there wasn't a single one }hairout{ Beer trap didn't work either!! I'll have to keep sending OH out with the rubber gloves and a bucket {rofwl}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Try replacing the beer in the trap with milk sometimes it works better also a solution of one part vinegar and one part water should do the trick, if not, skip the water. Just be careful as vinegar can act as an herbicide in your garden, don't spray it directly on any plants.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Dont leave any food out. When I had to see to the girls at 2.30am I left their food out as I was worried I would oversleep and they would have no food when I was going on hols very early in the morning. The food bowls had about 10 huge slimy spotted slugs in yuck! My Iris tried eating one once and almost choked as it was still alive, had to push it right down her throat.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/