Chicken Run Construction advice needed please

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
SouthernGuy
Learner Laner

Chicken Run Construction advice needed please

Post by SouthernGuy »

Good morning all,

I've just finished clearing a corner of my garden to construct a walk in chicken run. I was wondered if I could please get some advice regarding its construction?

The run size will potentially be roughly 36 square metres so I feel this is a decent size. This may change due to material costs etc. I plan to start with 6 hens and possibly go up to 10 at a later date. I will also occasionally let them roam in the garden when I'm out there. The run will be sandwiched between a shed and a 6' fence.

Base
At the moment it is just earth. I have two options that I am considering here.

1. I could just leave it as earth and add wood chippings on top which can be changed occasionally. This is the easier option.
2. I could put a permanent concrete base down with wood chippings on top. I would then provide sand filled tyres as dust baths etc.
What do you think is best? I already have bags of concrete that I could use.

Walls
Doing my research I think I've decided on using weld mesh for this purpose. I will go for 16g and will go for 1 x 1/2" holes to help keep rodent risks down. Does this sound ok and please can anyone direct me to the best supplier, Is it Hills of Devon?

Roof
I plan to put a corrugated plastic roof over the run with some old chicken wire underneath that I already have. Does this sound ok?

Rodent proofing as best I can
As mentioned I will go for 1 x 1/2" weld mesh for the walls to try to prevent rats getting in.
I also plan to invest in a treadle feeder and will store their feed in metal containers (dustbins). I have two sheds in the garden that I intend to buy something like 6mm weld mesh to put around the bottom to discourage rodents nesting underneath.
There's also sensor activated security lights and I have a dog.
Is there any more preventative tips you could recommend please?

I think that's it, well it's all I can think of right now.
Thank you in advance for any advice shared.

Regards
SouthernGuy

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Chicken Run Construction advice needed please

Post by lancashire lass »

Hi SouthernGuy - it sounds like you have a good plan.

SouthernGuy wrote:Base
At the moment it is just earth. I have two options that I am considering here.

1. I could just leave it as earth and add wood chippings on top which can be changed occasionally. This is the easier option.
2. I could put a permanent concrete base down with wood chippings on top. I would then provide sand filled tyres as dust baths etc.

Chickens like to scratch - it's a natural behaviour where they use their feet to scrape soil and leaf litter away and then peck anything interesting. I know lots of people use wood chippings but personally I find a soil base seems more natural (no harm putting wood chippings on top but before the end of the week, the girls will have nicely mixed it all - they are brilliant earth movers). However, I do think a solid base such as concrete is good because:

(a) despite all your best efforts of keeping rodents out, they are incredibly good at squeezing through the smallest gaps, and once inside they dig holes and tunnel under structures and very clever at finding ways to outwit you. Mice in particular might easily squeeze through the mesh size you are thinking of using not to mention that doorways tend to have a gap (unless your carpentry is amazingly accurate LOL)

(b) chickens like to dig holes too! Okay, not like rodents and more like bowl shaped for dust baths but still deep enough for someone to twist an ankle if they don't realise what is underneath.

(c) the sand filled tyres sound wonderful and I'd still leave them in as something interesting for the girls to investigate, but don't be disappointed if they totally ignore the sand bath provided and decide to go somewhere else, or worse, scratch all the sand out for no other reason than it must have been fun to do. Chickens tend to do their own thing.

SouthernGuy wrote:Walls
Doing my research I think I've decided on using weld mesh for this purpose. I will go for 16g and will go for 1 x 1/2" holes to help keep rodent risks down. Does this sound ok and please can anyone direct me to the best supplier, Is it Hills of Devon?

sorry, can't advise you on that - I bought my mesh from the local diy. Think not only rodents, but foxes too - if they can hook their teeth into the mesh, foxes can actually pull the mesh out. The smaller the mesh, the better.

SouthernGuy wrote:Roof
I plan to put a corrugated plastic roof over the run with some old chicken wire underneath that I already have. Does this sound ok?

I have a corrugated plastic roof and it works well (might be an idea to have a gutter to direct rain water off and away somewhere) I don't have chicken wire but it sounds like a good idea - just in case a strong wind gets underneath and flips the roof off, at least the run will still be secure.

I would advise giving thought to summer weather especially in June when the sun is strongest and daylight longer - clear plastic roofs act like a greenhouse and can get very warm in the run even with mesh sides. Chickens don't cope well in hot weather and can easily get stressed, so shade is essential. I use bits of foiled backed bubblewrap to cover the roof to reduce the sunlight but anything will do, then as winter approaches, take these down to allow more light into the run. I also have a number of trees in my garden which also provide shade at certain times of the day.

SouthernGuy wrote:Rodent proofing as best I can
As mentioned I will go for 1 x 1/2" weld mesh for the walls to try to prevent rats getting in.
I also plan to invest in a treadle feeder and will store their feed in metal containers (dustbins). I have two sheds in the garden that I intend to buy something like 6mm weld mesh to put around the bottom to discourage rodents nesting underneath.
There's also sensor activated security lights and I have a dog.

My neighbour has 2 cats and a dog, and I still have rodents, and when I've gone down to the runs to lock the girls up, the mice are not that bothered about the torch shining at them LOL. Mesh round the bottom of the shed sounds like a very sound idea though.

My (plastic) feeders hang up from ropes off the ceiling but I always take them down when locking up for the night. Metal containers are very expensive - that was my original idea until I'd realised how much I had already spent on the project. So I bought black builders bins from Wickes (heavy duty plastic with lid - I think they were about £15 each) until I could afford the metal ones, but after 3 years I haven't had any rodents gnawing their way into those so just left them. The bins are outside where the cats roam so the rat/mouse would have to be a brave or stupid to linger round the bin. As long as the area is kept clean and no food around to encourage rodents, the current feed storage has not been a problem for me.

I do have one suggestion for your run - chickens like to perch! It not only gives them a vantage point to look for "danger" or better still, the person with the "treats", but it gives them something to do which is natural. Not too high because most chickens land like sacks of potatoes when jumping down, and this can injure their feet (a deep sandy base would help to cushion this ...) which can cause long term problems such bumblefoot. A series of climbing perches dotted around is good as you'll find that the top hen might not like the bottom hens sharing HER perch, and she is bound to want the highest.

Hope that helps with your queries, and >gl< with your new project
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

sounds like you've done your homework, sounds fab! I preferred leaving the run earth rather than concrete .Lots of people use woodchip, I used aubiose which has become mostly dry earth which they make dustbaths in. You'd need to take precautions to prevent foxes (or rats) from digging in though, a weldmesh skirt around the run (flyte so fancy do them cut to size)is one way, or pavers around the edge.
We have corrugated plastic on the roof (dont forget the slope) which is great, but I also keep some clear plastic tarps & bungees for the rainy sides in the winter & reed screening for shade in the summer.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

kitla wrote:..... a weldmesh skirt around the run (flyte so fancy do them cut to size)is one way, or pavers around the edge.

Found it.
But what I would need is a roll of bent weldmesh (like Omlet runs), to revamp my very large run, if I wanted to keep hens again. OH was adament the chicken wire was enough {cry} . Of course it rotted at ground level
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
SouthernGuy
Learner Laner

Post by SouthernGuy »

Thank you for your replies.

I today contacted Hills of Devon and enquired what weld mesh they'd recommend. The choice I'm looking at is either going for smaller 1/2 X 1/2" holes at 19g or 1/2 X 1" holes at 16g. The lady who replied told me that they sell a lot of the 1/2 X 1/2" 19g weld mesh to chicken keepers because of the smaller holes but it's personal choice. Hmmm decisions decisions.

While I was on the hills site I bought a 1/4 X 1/4" 6m roll of wire mesh to put around the bottom of both my shed's to discourage rodents from nesting underneath. I'll crack on with fixing that to the shed's whilst I ponder my decisions regarding mesh size for the walls.

I'm swaying towards the concrete base for easiness to clean and also rodent/predator inabilities to get through it.

I'll keep you updated. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks
SouthernGuy
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

I am following this with interest as we are about to build an enclosure for the five chickens our neighbours gave us, we are planning a concrete base to stand the coop on with an area of soil for them to dig and scratch about in. This with a simple wire mesh fence around with some corrugated roofing for cover. As they have free range during the day with our other chickens this will mainly be used during the winter when we can be under three foot of snow. Our other five will hopefully be homed in the barn.

I look forward to some pictures SoutherGuy once completed, great fun this chicken keeping )t'
"Not all those who wander are lost"
SouthernGuy
Learner Laner

Post by SouthernGuy »

Evening all,
Well today I have further cleared the area in preparation for the run and taken a photo. The pic doesn't do it justice but it's quite a large area. To the right where you can just see a concrete base there is due to be a shed arriving in the next couple of weeks (not for the hens). I will also be replacing the trellis bit of fence in front of the neighbours greenhouse before I build the run.

I'm now having a rethink regarding the base as it's going to take a fair bit of concrete. I have had a different idea which is to acquire some free paving slabs from free cycle or similar and then just concrete between the gaps a bit like crazy paving. Hopefully that should be cheaper. What do you think?

I've also been thinking about feeding and providing water for my girls.

Feeder wise I mentioned earlier about the treadle feeder. I've now seen some barrel type pheasant feeders with triggers to release small amounts of feed at a time and am now considering that instead.. They are cheaper at £23 delivered and hold a lot of food.

Drinking wise, I like the idea of using an automatic system hooked up to a butt that the roof drains into. Obviously in freezing conditions I'll have to put water out but this idea would be ok for the rest of the year. I've actually jumped into this idea and have ordered the following kit from here. http://www.cockodoodles.co.uk/#!product-page/qwpfe/60202b1e-96e4-2963-563d-899fc51fea2e I'll have to check water levels and that the cups don't get blocked but hopefully it will work well.

I think that's it for now. What are your thoughts on the above please?

Regards
SouthernGuy
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Re the concrete base, I paved all but a free inches of my run. It's not anywhere near as big as yours, but even paved, it does get incredibly muddy in winter. However, as has already been mentioned, paving slabs on the outside perimeter of the run will prevent foxes digging in.

I believe the auto water systems work well, sorry, no experience of feeders.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com