Bumper BlackBerry crop

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
saint-spoon

Bumper BlackBerry crop

Post by saint-spoon »

Mrs Spoon has been out with the Teaspoons picking blackberries again and there seems to be a lot around this year. Our Raspberry canes are still fruiting as well. Good job I like BlackBerry and Apple crumble. )eat(
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Re: Bumper BlackBerry crop

Post by p.penn »

Yummmm. I had a blackberry and apple pie a couple of days back. I never get the timing right for picking.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Same where we live, I picked another two kilo of blackberries this afternoon and will return tomorrow for more, also we have had the best year since planting our raspberry canes and there are a lot more to come yet. I may plant some more canes in when I cut them back again later in the year. My picking process for raspberries is simple.......pick one......eat one.....pick one.......eat one, lovely flavour!

Initially we planted a bed full of blackberry plants but when we found how many were growing wild in the countryside here we pulled them up to utilize the area for other things, problem is they still shoot through and every morning we are pulling blackberry shoots/plants up. Some we have replanted by an old stone/cut branch wall which we will train along to become a prickly barrier. Currently we freeze both the blackberries and raspberries but once it cools down here we will be turning some in to jam and the others will become crumbles etc. over the winter.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Like your picking technique Trev. However, in our garden it's more like.......pick one......chickens jump up and steal it............eat one (if you're lucky).....pick one.......chickens jump up and steal it etc. etc. etc. {rofwl}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

When she thinks I'm not looking, Bailey picks and ears my strawberries {rofwl} One of my friends gave her a courgette from my garden the other day, I can see her eyeing those up now too {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

KathJ wrote:However, in our garden it's more like.......pick one......chickens jump up and steal it............eat one (if you're lucky).....pick one.......chickens jump up and steal it etc. etc. etc. {rofwl}

A sight I would enjoy seeing!!

Here our fruit and vegetable patch is fenced off so our feathery critters cannot access them.

Picked another kilo of blackberries when out walking today, the freezer is filling up nicely :-D
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

p.penn wrote:When she thinks I'm not looking, Bailey picks and ears my strawberries {rofwl} One of my friends gave her a courgette from my garden the other day, I can see her eyeing those up now too {rofwl}

Fortunately my fish don't like raspberries.
Bah Humbug
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Picked another batch of blackberries when out walking this afternoon and there are still plenty more ripening. It is strange as in certain picking areas the blackberries are massive but fewer in numbers when in others they are much smaller but no matter how many you pick there is always more! Different soil, amount of sun, no idea why?

We are still picking raspberries every morning as well, long may this continue.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

As well as varying in size I find some are sweet, some sharp, some tasteless. Genetic variation as well as different conditions, maybe.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

And the supermarkets are selling them at silly prices, really!!!!!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

sandy wrote:And the supermarkets are selling them at silly prices, really!!!!!

No more silly than washed salads.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

The hedgerows here still have some lovely big ripe and juicy blackberries on them even though the leaves are dropping, we also still have some clusters of raspberries on our canes that we continue to pick, strange as we are now into November. :?

Shared some with Percy the rabbit for breakfast today, we both enjoyed them :-D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Unbelievable found two nice juicy blackberries today and a small crop of red ones!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

We are still pulling raspberries from the canes in our garden and blackberries from the wild growing bushes where we walk in the morning, strange for this time of year. The rabbit and chickens are enjoying them for breakfast :-D