Homer gulping food then vomiting back !

Dogs, Cats, Fish, Parrots, Horses, ALL Domestic Pets
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Homer gulping food then vomiting back !

Post by Dee »

Homer is 17 years old next month and has been on steroids for the past couple of months..
They have helped him with his aches and pains but as I was told he would drink a lot more and is always hungry !
He gulps his food down and then he brings it back up ...its not vomit its literally as it went down ...he occasionally collapses when this happens and have spoken to the vet who thinks its likely to be lack of oxygen to the brain for a few seconds that causes this
He's not losing weight at all and there are no problems with his toilet....
Im thinking maybe three small meals a day may help ...he's on butchers choice sensitive food at the moment ..Any ideas ?
Thanks Dee
x
p.penn

Re: Homer gulping food then vomiting back !

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear, It doesn't sound like he's getting many nutrients :? Sorry, no idea what you can do - perhaps the vet could suggest a solution?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hiya.
You can get bowls or mats to slow down the eating. Google it and have a look.
But you can sometimes slow them down by putting a tin in the bowls. They have to eat the food round the obstacles.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Post by Dee »

That's sounds like a good idea, he has had a couple of biscuits this morning and no problems at all....he need to learn some table manners lol.
Thank you both for your replies
xxxx
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Similar to what Wendy has said, we had a kangal and he used to bolt his food so to slow him down we put a tennis ball in his bowl so he had to nose it around when eating.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Dee
Longlasting Laner

Post by Dee »

I've just given him some boiled rice with a soft poached egg, put a small pilchard can in the middle of his bowl and he's taking much longer to eat ....
Just glad my hubby's not here as he would think I have totally lost it if he saw an unopened can of pilchards in the dog bowl !
Ive found some of those bowls and will order one of them ...
Poor old boy . he cant see well or hear that well but in every other way he seems quite happy...so hard to know what to do for them at this age...just keep him warm comfy and happy ..
xxx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I hope the bowl with the obstacle works for him. It does sound as though his problem is bolting his food too fast which his body then rejects.
My last old boy lived to 18 and although he had become both deaf and blind coped with it very well. As you say Dee at his age he mostly wants love and comfort with plenty of cuddles. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.