LIFE EXPECTANCY

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Powyswales
Lively Laner

LIFE EXPECTANCY

Post by Powyswales »

Hi, what is the life expectancy of your average hen, i asked my chicken keeper neighbour and she said 3-4 years, is this about right?.

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: LIFE EXPECTANCY

Post by lancashire lass »

It depends on the breed and the general health of individual hens - for hybrids, 3-4 years sounds about right with a few unfortunate sad cases where individuals might have some problem or health issue. On the other hand, there are occasions when a hen might live a little longer than expected.

Pure breeds - it greatly depends on the breed but 5-7 years is about average with some maybe 3-5 years, and some rare ones at 7-9 years +
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My oldest ever hybrid was 6.5 years when she passed away recently, but generally I would say 4-5 yrs (although many go before this).
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi 18 months old normally when rescued .
2 years and a bit if they are lucky girls.
The stress on the first 18months does take its toll unfortunately .
But the quality of life they get after is amazing to watch .
Bob
marilyn1952
Learner Laner

Post by marilyn1952 »

My little girl sting died this summer she wos over 8 years old we got her from A friend when she wos very young she had stopped laying some years ago and she wos a bit tubby when she whent I still miss her waddling up to the gate when I o to feed them as she wos the only one left from the first ones we had she out lived her babies she hatched we got 4 young hens to keep her company and she put them in there place as soon as we put them in with her then they all got on well but our new girls all come to me and will eat out of my hands I do love them