Snakes

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Snakes

Post by Trev62 »

When checking our perimeter fence today I moved some wall stones and came face to face with a beautiful adder, closest I have been to one but it was not too impressed at being disturbed! Wish I had had my camera to hand, neither of us moved for what seemed like ages before it disappeared through the fence.

We also had another snake living under some stone steps that needed repairing by the house not sure what it was but we flooded it out over the course of a few days to ensure no harm came to our dogs, chickens and rabbit.

This year when out walking we have seen more than in all our previous years here, also there seems to be a lot of slow worms around as well and they are not "slow" at all!

Anyone else finding the same where they live?
"Not all those who wander are lost"
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: Snakes

Post by fabindia »

No snakes in our garden I am afraid.
Michael
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Nor mine. I expect there are many adders on the downs, and I do worry about my dog getting bitten, but I have never seen one.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good to hear, all wildlife is good !

I haven't seen any in my garden, just a dead one further down the Lane. Looked like something had got it.

I'm sure I have some, but it'll still make me jump when I do come across one !!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Today we found some snake droppings around the back off the house against the wall, after some time spent searching the stone walls and piled up stones we could find nothing so hopefully it was just passing through as we have a load of logs being delivered tomorrow for next year which will be stacked in this area over winter.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Found our snake curled up in our stone wall, we think it is a whipsnake possibly a caspian whipsnake, it will be left alone as they are good as a natural pest control so will keep the rodent population down, does not like you getting to close so unable to get a photo at present, seems though not venomous they will not hesitate to bite.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

)like(
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome