Bread and Toast

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Bread and Toast

Post by Trev62 »

After following the link that is on Annemieke posts it made me wonder about bread and toast.

We make all our own bread here including pide, pita and naan bread, pizza bases plus the usual white, brown/wholemeal bread and rolls also a "Farmers" flat bread from a recipe we picked up in Turkey, a lovely courgette bread that is one of my favourites with Bulgarian Easter Bread (kozyhak) being another.

Every morning at breakfast we both enjoy some toast with homemade jam then we have to do extra slices for the dogs, just a good dose of butter for them, followed by several slices cut into squares for the chickens (pampered birds!) then lastly a thin crunchy piece for the rabbit! So a small loaf is gone every morning.

A versatile food and (being biased) homemade bread beats the supermarket products hands down.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Bread and Toast

Post by HedgeHugger »

We bought a sliced loaf the other day, the first one in around 5 or 6 years I reckon. We usually make our own too. Have cut down a bit on our bread eating recently though, so making less.
Ciabatta is pretty simple and goes quickly here, is excellent toasted. Must make some soon.... :)
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Forgot to mention our English muffins, just started making them, lovely slightly toasted with butter and homemade jam )t'
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

All sounding yummy. Recipes please!

We bought a book called 5-minute Bread and made the basic recipe often but with results from perfect to rubbish. It worked out at only 5-10p per loaf and needed very little effort. I'm going to book myself onto a baking course soon and can't wait!
wendy

Post by wendy »

I always made my own bread.
Rarely eat it now. :?
You cannot beat home made, the courgette bread sound good.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

You are making me feel hungry Trev, and I try not to eat bread, lunch is a Ryvita and a Hovis cracker. I always made my own bread, first by hand - could have used it for a wall, then with the Kenwood and latterly with the breadmaker. Last breadmaker packed up, so we have not replaced.

Homemade bread is wonderful, no wonder the loaves do not last.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

For ciabatta I use this recipe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ciabatta_05418

I make up the first bit (biga) just before going to bed, then finish it off when I get up. Need a bit of time to do this, luckily I have loads. Can be a bit gloopy and sticky, but after doing it a few times it becomes easier, doesn't most things :)
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

One of my favorite breads, the dogs love it as well. Makes lovely toast. We have to keep it in the fridge during the hot months and last year we had @ 15 loaves in the freezer to see us through the winter, unfortunately the freezers are full this year so only a couple to enjoy at a later date! Not sure where the recipe is from but have copied it from my partners recipe folder.

Courgette bread

3 medium courgettes, grated
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
100g chestnut mushrooms (we use any) chopped
350g plain flour
7g dried yeast
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
Half tbsp coarse sea salt to sprinkle

Put the grated courgettes in a colander and sprinkle with 1 tsp of the salt. Leave to stand for 20 mins, then, using your hands, squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible. Rinse the courgettes thoroughly, then squeeze again.

Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 4 mins until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 4 mins until softened and browned, then add the courgettes and cook for another 2 mins. Strain well and set aside to cool; discard the liquid.

Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl, stir in the yeast, the remaining oil and salt, the basil and the courgette mixture. Mix well to combine. Make a well in the centre and add 125ml hand-hot water. Mix well to form a slightly sticky dough. Knead on a floured surface for about 10 mins, then shape into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet.

Flatten the ball of dough very slightly with the palm of your hand and loosely cover with oiled cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for 25-30 mins until doubled in size. Brush the top of the dough with a little water, then sprinkle with the sea salt and bake for 40 mins until golden.

Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

HedgeHugger wrote:For ciabatta I use this recipe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ciabatta_05418" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

)like( I will be printing this off to give it a try.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

One more my Partner uses a lot as it can be used for wraps, curries etc. again taken from her recipe book so not sure where it originates from.

Quick Flat Bread

200g plain flour
half tsp salt
100ml warm water
2 tbsp oil (e,g, sunflower, olive oil)

Place flour in to bowl and add water bit by bit
Add the oil and knead for @ 5 mins
If too sticky add more flour, if too dry add more water

Divide into 4/6 segments

Roll out dough

Rub pan with oil

Cook for @ 2 mins either side

The dough can be frozen before cooking it just takes a bit longer to cook when needed.
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have a breadmaker, but rarely use it now as I eat so little bread. When I do though, it doesn't last long!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I made a lot of bread when there were 2 of us but I don't eat enough to make it for myself. I did bake bread last week.but I gave most away as it takes up too much room in my small freezer. I must say that I do miss some of the lovely artisan type breads that I made.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I love baking bread and some of the recipes here I'll definitely try.

Problem is very few houses and apartments here have ovens - most Indian food is cooked on the stove. We are looking at small electric ovens and will buy one of those as opposed to a microwave 'combination' oven, where I have never found the oven setting that good.
Michael
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oooh, I love bread and eat far far too much but I could live on bread and toast! I love the sort with 'bit's in. Unfortunately I don't have time to make my own so have to rely on the supermarket :?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx