Sick chook, any thoughts?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Re: Sick chook, any thoughts?

Post by gardenergirl »

She's at the vet now. She wasn't very hopeful and said she's never had success doing this with a chicken that looks so ill to begin with, and seemed a bit more in favour of putting her to sleep. But said that it wouldn't hurt to give it a go and see how she gets on. She thinks she might have aspirated some of the liquid though which makes her chances of recovery not good. I said to give it a go, but gave her permission to stop and put her to sleep at any point she thought it was too much.

I'm starting to wish I'd just told her to do it there and then, I think now it might be cruel to put her through that if she's not going to survive at the end of it. I'm just such a wuss, I well up instantly at the thought of having anything PTS {cry}

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear, so sorry to read this. Fingers crossed for your little chook {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

She's had the procedure and is standing up apparently, and they have her in a cozy box to warm up after the anaesthetic. She's going to ring back later and hopes I can have her back tonight. Fingers crossed.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh good to hear she's come through )t' Hope she is okay after her op

Make sure to ask the vet for next steps. Sour crop can be caused by an impaction in the crop like long grass etc and because it can't pass through bacteria can go to town. If your vet has removed an impaction it's worth asking whether she needs antibiotics (the vet might have flushed out the crop). Or it can be caused by yeast infection (a bit like thrush) in which case some advice about what to do next might be useful. Sometimes the crop needs to get back it's friendly bacteria so some priobiotic yoghurt or Beryl's Friendly Bacteria might be good. I'm not sure if it's best to leave her just on water for a day or so though to help the crop flush - get some advice from the vet )t'

Hope she's okay. Sour crop is very difficult to treat >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

She's home for the night, but I don't think she looks very good. She's out of it (as expected), but her breathing's very gurgly. She has antibiotics to take until Wed or Thurs when I'm to ring the vet again (if she's still alive). The vet's most worried about her having breathed some in, so she said if this doesn't work then we shouldn't intervene anymore unless to put her to sleep.

I feel terrible. It's my fault she breathed the stuff in. I wish I hadn't tried to do it myself and just taken her straight to the vet. It must have been absolutely awful for her, and she must feel so bad now with that gunk in her lungs {cry}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

My Doris took some of the gunk in and died there and then because it went down her windpipe so do not despair just yet and do not beat yourself up about trying yourself, please {hug} Lets hope the meds work, I am tipping Violet when she gets really bad and trust me it is never simple.
If you can get catch up take a look at the Yorkshire Vet that was on this week with an impacted crop.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi I saw that , Large man (builder ) with 2 hens . Sitting on his lap .He is a must for the forum as dopey on his hens as the rest of us. A lot of gung came out of her crop for sure.
Bob
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

The vet was just on the phone wondering how she's getting on. Amazingly the gurgly sound has stopped when she breathes (though she still shakes her head a lot like she's trying to clear something). She hasn't been eating very much, but today she did go for some layers pellets when I gave them to her. Her crop felt a bit squishy again this morning when I gave her her antibiotics, and I'm getting that smell from her mouth again which is a worry. The vet said to give her another couple of days to see how she gets on, and to try and get some live yogurt down her with a syringe (she won't eat it voluntarily).

I'm amazed she's still going to be honest.
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

I think it might be time to call it a day. She's not drinking and barely seems able to eat anything, and hasn't passed anything in days. She just sits and sleeps the whole time, and she's so weak and just falls over when she stands. I took her outside very briefly yesterday while I emptied the base of her cage and Featherduster came over to see her. She's such a sweet chook and gave her pal a few little grooming pecks, which will probably be the last they see of each other now.

I've never had an animal PTS before. Not sure I'm going to be much good at it {cry}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear she isn't improving. Sour crop can be very difficult to treat.

I understand what you mean about having a pet put to sleep. I always find it so difficult saying goodbye, whether at home or the vets, and I have cried buckets, in some cases for days. But you know the outcome is inevitable, it's really now a case of what is better for her (and you). The vets will understand if you get emotional, and don't be afraid to. It's good that you honour her by caring {hug}

Take care, and we're here if you need us
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I've been reading your posts and willing your little girl to get better but it looks like that isn't going to be the case. My biggest regret was that I hung on to my first little girl for far to long. In hindsight we really should have done the kindest thing but it was the first girl we'd had who was poorly and for our sake we fetched her home and she just faded away day by day. Either way is sad for us but I think it's probably kinder to her if you can make the right decision. Good luck with whatever you decide to do {hug}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

She's gone {cry} . I took her in this evening after she didn't eat or eat anything all day and just continued to sit there sleeping. After it was done and I'd got her home, a lot of the gunk that was sitting on her lungs had drained out. There was a lot of it, she must have been miserable. I just wish I'd done it a week ago and spared her the misery. {cry}

Thanks for all the advice over the last week xx
ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

Oh I am so sorry. You did your best for her. It is always a horrible decision to make. I have been through this three times now over the years and am never sure I made the decision early enough but it's so hard to give up when you feel a flicker of hope. I cried buckets every time. We can only do our best.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry {hug}

Can't put it any better than Carol just did
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I am sorry you have lost your girl. It is never an easy decision, i have spent weeks deciding whether to take Marigold to the vets now or hang on a bit longer.
Sending you a hug {hug}
Amber.