Newbies :)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Newbies :)

Post by gardenergirl »

I went to my first ever poultry auction yesterday and got some new friends for Featherduster. I've never been to any kind of auction before, so it was quite an experience (I lost the 2 silkies I was bidding on to Tilda Swinton of all people!!!!). In the end I came away with 2 cream legbars and 2 little pekins. They're fairly tame already, especially the wee ones who must have been well handled. Featherduster's not at all sure about them, though there haven't been any major squabbles yet.

Last night I had to put them into the coop when it got dark, and I think I might have to do that again tonight since they haven't been in to explore it all day. I'm not sure they're understanding the ramp.

I'm also feeling really bad for them in the horrible weather today, especially the little ones - it's freezing out there! I just want to bring them in and pop them in front of a heater!

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Newbies :)

Post by kitla »

ooh they're so sweet! I've never had legbars, I love their topnots. Does the pekin's colouring have a name, or are they a mixup? they look a bit like a cuckoo/gold partridge mix, really unusual & very pretty.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

Well in the auction catalogue they're listed as Isabella pekins, but a google search of that colouring looks more like a creamy-blue colour. I thought partridge looks closer to the mark, except that their markings might be a little less distinct.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Lovely girls! Leg bars are wonderful, my Dory Grey is a leg bar and she is daft and flighty, easily startled and so comical. The top knot is fab, and the blue eggs are a bonus.

Feather duster will probably chuck her weight around and sort out the pecking order quite quickly. Leg bars are generally quite mild mannered, and if feather duster is a full size girl I can't see bandied putting up too much of a fight.

Tilda Swindon eh? Fancy that!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They look absolutely gorgeous )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Fine looking birds.

One or two punch ups and all's well )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
gardenergirl
Lively Laner

Post by gardenergirl »

They're getting on pretty well together and are now putting themselves to bed at night. I got a new little feeder for the wee ones though because they're too light to open the treadle feeder!

Question: how old do you think they look? They were listed as pullets (meaning under a year, right?), but they must be pretty young because I've had no eggs yet and their combs are still tiny. Here's another couple of photos:

ChickenCarol
Longlasting Laner

Post by ChickenCarol »

I would say between four and six months. I have had a cream legbar and they have quite big, floppy combs. Your's have tiny combs which is why I think they are still quite young.

They are all four, lovely looking girls.