Our new garden club

Flowers, Trees, Lawns, Infrastructures, Maintenance & anything else!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Our new garden club

Post by Spreckly »

Our tiny village, no shop,no pub, only a very small church, phone box and post box, plus a hut where free range eggs are sold, had its inaugural garden club meeting a few weeks since. Tonight we are having our second meeting, where we can take plants, cuttings, seeds, etc for exchanges. The cost is one pound per head towards church funds - where we are meeting, and shall be using electricity.

This is a new venture for the village, so we are looking forward to it.

Years ago, there was a village hall, where dances, wedding receptions, and other events took place. This had to be pulled down, and it would appear that since then, the community spirit has dwindled somewhat.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Our new garden club

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} not sure how I missed this post

Spreckly wrote:phone box

... these still exist? )t'

Spreckly wrote:we can take plants, cuttings, seeds, etc for exchanges

that sounds like a great idea - some seed packets have far too many seeds and the number of times I prune back a plant and think they'd make good cuttings but there's only so many I'd want

Hope it keeps going )like(
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks LL. Yes, we still have a phone box, but without a phone. There is some talk of the possibility of using it as a mini-library. Personally I think that the books will get damp and musty.

It is our last meeting tonight, unless someone offers the use of a large-ish room. We use the church, and the heating, which is counter productive as we are raising funds towards the building of a new extension. We shall re-group in the spring.

Tonight we are taking pears, leaf mould, and seed catalogues.

So long since my initial post, but there is interest among the attendees. Unsure if I put this on, but we had a morning out in a resident's pumpkin field before the weather changed. So many different varieties of pumpkins. We walked the adjacent field, looking at their wild flower area, and ended up watching different butterflies on the banks of a small stream. Quite a magical morning.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Nearly didn't have our last meeting, the founders had forgotten, and OH had to pop round and remind them. Much hilarity when they walked in. We re-group in February, when OH has been asked to give seed sowing demonstrations!!!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I like the Library idea. There's quite a few about.

Here's one

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Interesting, Richard, thanks for putting it on. We can buy our phone box for one pound also, but have then to maintain it. I am unsure how the books will fare in damp and cold weather.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Interesting spreckers.

Original phone boxes seem to sell up to around the £2,000 mark!
Most of which are not restored.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Good community spirit you've got there, Spreckley. When villages lack facilities the residents have to do it for themselves. We still have a phone box, with a phone. Yes, buy your phone box, I have seen some super mini libraries housed in them.
Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Purchasing the phone box will be up to the Parish Council, so we will see. No Garden Club until next February now.
Richard

Post by Richard »

If the Box is in Situ so no transportation etc. is required I'd imagine you'd get a good deal.

Whatever, these wonderful relics of our past should be kept, especially in a position where they've always stood.

I hope the Council come up with something.

Good luck with it.

Richard )t'
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks, Richard. Can't remember when the next Parish Council meeting is due, but OH is Vice Chair, so we'll know the outcome. The phone box had been desperately needing a new coat of paint, now this has been done, it looks smart, though no longer in use.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

2017 update on our village garden club. This year we have opened our gardens up to members.

We have had some really interesting tours. One member has a large greenhouse, which was originally the cover over a swimming pool at another residence in the village. Her son is running a market garden business from it, using computerised technology to plant up. I was in the throes of a chest infection and missed this one, but can go and have a look round any time.

I missed the second visit to people who moved into the village a couple of years since, and inherited a wilderness, with sandwich trays stuffed in the hedge gaps, and very little gardening undertaken by the previous owners. I recently had my garden tour there, and was amazed at the difference. They have a paddock, with newly planted trees, beautiful flower beds, hens, a well kept pond, and much to be admired. Every time I went past their home with my dog, the couple were clearing and gardening like mad.

Other tours have been equally interesting, one was to our garden this summer, thankfully OH's hard work paid off, with some help from me, and the evening was fine and dry after several very wet days. By jiggling furniture around we managed to squeeze nine people into our front room. Three members were unable to attend, which was just as well.

We shall shortly be having our last meeting with a barbecue at a couples' home, and that will end our 2017 meetings.