Controlling the amount of Solid Fuel I use.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Controlling the amount of Solid Fuel I use.

Post by Richard »

In fact, the One Show picked up on this earlier in the year and asked me to appear - thing was they emailed me in the afternoon and I was in Southampton.

However, I use Taybrite Solid Fuel Lumps, they're all the same size, so.....

I start the fire with 12 lumps placed on top of kindling wood I get from down the Lane

Then I add some slightly larger wood and put another 12 lumps on

After it's all red and glowly I put another 6 lumps on

= 30 lumps in total.

I light up at around 5pm and that will keep going until about 9.00am the following day and still be throwing out a small amount of heat when I re-light.

Anyone else do this sort of thing.

It's not because of money so much as just knowing my heat :-D :-D

Richard

PS. I'm still at a stage where I'd like to come home and flick a switch though )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Re: Controlling the amount of Solid Fuel I use.

Post by saint-spoon »

No such luck, I have central heating and i share the house with three females... not a hope of controlling the amount of fuel that is used LOL {rofwl}
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You could arrange the occasional blowing of the fuse which work it spoony :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

We only use wood here but we burn different wood (when available) for different reasons as some wood will burn green while others require a year or two to season, some provide a quick burn for instant heat others last all night to tick the heating system over. We monitor our usage during the winter by stacks, one stack a month over winter and our average use is @ 9 cubic metres a year but due to the hefty price hikes this year we have brought in two years supply anticipating another massive hike again next year.
"Not all those who wander are lost"