Some like it hot, not me.

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Some like it hot, not me.

Post by Meanqueen »

My frugalness continues, but, I am now in the position that I can afford to put the central heating on. Don't get excited, I don't have it on for more than an hour or two, and still wear a dressing gown over my clothes. I can't stand a house that is hot all the time, it makes me feel tired and gives me a fuzzy head. If I go into someone's hot house I can't stay long, I have to leave to get some fresh air.

It's a good job I live alone, wouldn't want anyone moaning about being cold. ha ha.

Ilona
wendy

Re: Some like it hot, not me.

Post by wendy »

ha ha,
I suppose it is what you get used to.
I find as I am getting older I feel it when the house gets too cold.
The heating is on twice a day 6 - 9 and 4 to 11, in between I top up with the gas fire, unless it is really cold.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I like downstairs warm but upstairs cool. It helps
If it's very cold I just put a blanket over the Duvet. I like my head cool.

As you say Wendy, whatever turns you on and suits your health, wellbeing etc.

Having a very small house, I light the Rayburn late afternoon, stack it up and that will keep going until mid morning the next day.
I use a mixture of Taybrite and wood which I forage, so the cost is minimal.
The Rayburn heat will go through to the Sitting Room OK.

Saying that, I'd like to just flick a switch now, though not Central Heating, like Ilona, I don't get on with it.

There comes a stage where more warmth is vital is us person's getting on a bit.

All down to what suits us an where we want to spend our money.

I know a couple who are worth a fortune, big holidays, social events, two houses etc. but when it comes to utilities, I don't know many as frugal as they are !!!!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

it didn't use to bother me having no heating in my bedroom (I could snuggle down in the bed with a hot water bottle) until about 20 years ago - I recall it was an exceptionally cold winter that year and breathing in cold air triggered my asthma. That's when I set up a convection heater on a timer which takes the nip out of the air before I go to bed)

The biggest problem I have is when I get home from work, especially during a spell of cold weather - the living room is frigid .sn< ... while waiting for the radiator to warm the room up, even with multiple layers on I am freezing cold. A lot has to do with working in a warm environment during the day, and then coming home to a cold house at night
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I think the working environment has some bearing on how the body can tolerate extreme cold or heat. I remember sitting in a lovely toasty cab for three hours driving to my destination, then having to get out in all weathers, snow, wind, and ice, put on the boots, jacket, woolly hat, gloves, and spend two hours unloading the trailer. Frozen fingers connecting up hoses to the tanker, standing around stamping my feet for an hour while the load of cement transfers from the tank to the silo, wiping the drips from my nose.

My last job wasn't so bad. Get out of cab, drop trailer, pick up another one, or, back onto loading bay and sit in the cab while a warehouse operative got in the back and unloaded it.

I'm glad I had an outdoor job, it toughened me up.

Ilona